Thread: 1.7TD Astra Mk4 wont start

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.7TD Astra Mk4 wont start

Apologies for long post but I want to try and include everything.
    I have a 99 S reg Mk4 Diesel Astra with the GM engine.
    It was left unused for a couple of days in very cold temperatures and when I went to start it I just got a loud clicking noise from the starter solenoid. I attached jump leads from another car but it still just clicked and wouldnt turn over. After about 20 mins however it started turning over and the clicking stopped. Fully charged the battery but now have the problem that it is turning over but not starting. It doesnt sound right when turning over. Changed the starter motor. Same problem. Checked glow plugs with voltmeter, all are ok and glowplug light on dash lights up and goes out as normal.
    I then noticed coolant was frozen, previous owner (not me really) obviously put plain water and no antifreeze in. I put the car in the garage with a heater on it and left for 24 hours. Fully defrosted, drained radiator and refilled with antifreeze and water. No sign of any leaks. Checked cam belt, aligned correctly, all marks line up and no damage to the belt. (think I got away with it). But car still wont start.
    Engine management light doesn't flash which would indicate immobilisor is armed.
    I'm out of ideas. Only other thing that may be relevant but I cant think how is that a couple of weeks ago I put 5 litres of petrol in it when it was almost empty and ran it for 1/2 mile until engine cut out when I realised what I'd done. Got it recovered to home where I drained the tank, changed the fuel filter and filled it up with diesel. Started and ran fine with no problems. Have done about 300 miles over about 10 different journeys since then with no problems.
    Can anyone think what the problem may be ? Eliminated the battery, starter motor, frozen water pump and glow plugs and now I'm stuck.
    Oh and no the immobiliser chip hasn't fallen out of the key.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hard to say over a keyboard but i'd be checking it's got fuel to the injectors first, try cracking a pipe off and when you turn it over see if anything squirts out (don't get anyone staring at it or they'll get an eyefull) and post back.

if there's nothing then it's either a random airlock/blockage or possible pump fault.
    Engine ECU on mine didn't pick up my pump fault, had to pin out the ECU on the fuel pump to retrieve the fault code directly from it but you need the appropiate software for that

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Took pipe off injector and turned it over. Fuel came out. Lossened nuts while turning over until fuel came out and then re tightened to make sure no airlocks. Still won't start.
    Fuel is going to the injectors and power is going to the glow plugs.
    Next job is to try and start it with a can of easy start.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Easy start had no effect. Must be serious, anyone want to buy an astra that won't start.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Make sure you have a good earth connection, run a jump lead from bat neg to a good point on the block, see if that makes a difference. Some or all of your glow plugs may be on their way out, really hard to start without them in this cold weather. Make sure your air filter is clean.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Spedo, tried earthing with a jump lead but no change. Glow plugs are 6 months old and test fine with a voltmeter. Tried spraying easy start direct into the air intake for the turbo which didn't work and would rule out the air filter. Air filter is also 6 months old and clean and in good condition.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well thats odd, all it needs is air, fuel and compression

where you based? i need a gearbox

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it were me I would get a fault code reader on it, which may highlight any areas of concern.