Thread: Radio - Steering Wheel connectivity?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Radio - Steering Wheel connectivity?

Heya everyone.

For those who helped, the other day, thanks loads! Everything seems groovy with the new car now. The garage who fitted the new exhaust gave me some new rubber hangers for free, so I didnt need to find any in the end, and I'm keeping an ear out for the odd squesk on the brake, seems fine though.

I have another question though.

I'm still very new to cars, having always been a biker. If I'm looking at replacing the stereo, and kitting the beast out with a decent sound system, will hooking up the steering wheel radio controls going to add to the cost? I'm assuming it will just be an adapter of some sort needed.

Also, anyone got any suggestions on sound equipment and a few easy mods to get me going?

Car is a MK4 1999 1.8 Sport.

Cheers again.

Dave
    Drives: Astra Sport 1.8 16v Mk4
    Rides: Honda CB400SF (grey import)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeh to make the steering wheel controls work you will need a couple of parts from Autoleads / Halfords. The main adaptor needed is a PC99-X06 to adapt the cars wiring and make the steering wheel controls compatible. This lead is generally £29.99. You will also need an adaptor depending on what stereo you purchase - PC99-ALP = alpine, PC99-SON = sony, PC99-PIO = pioneer, PC99-BLA = blaupunkt, PC99-CLA = clarion, PC99-JVC = JVC, PC99-KEN = kenwood. This lead will be about £4.99.

Be aware that some stereos arent steering wheel control compatible, this is generally stereos under £70 or so.. So make sure it is before you purchase it, in Halfords the store ticket shows a picture of a steering wheelif it is compatible.

When connecting this to the existing wiring and new stereo, plug everything together apart from a small jack lead. Turn the stereo on, save a radio station inot one of its presets. Take the keys out of the ignition, then plug the jack in. Turn the ignition back on and the controls should be fully functional.

Hope this helps...

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If you search around you can get the whole lead set for around £20 - mine are branded InCarTec and for £20 I got the head unit adapter lead aswell as the car side.

Some stereo's will also work the MFD aswell as the steering wheel controls, but that depends entirely on the make/model of head unit.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    If you search around you can get the whole lead set for around £20 - mine are branded InCarTec and for £20 I got the head unit adapter lead aswell as the car side.

Some stereo's will also work the MFD aswell as the steering wheel controls, but that depends entirely on the make/model of head unit.
    Is that from Halfords mate?

I have a Sony Head Unit with a USB port and could do with getting that hooked up to my steering wheel controls................getting an armrest first though!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers all.

Sounds very doable. Another quick question while we're here. How do I get in behind the centre console? Bulb is gone and can't fathom how to get to it. All appears to be sealed off from the foot wells which is where I was expecting.
    Drives: Astra Sport 1.8 16v Mk4
    Rides: Honda CB400SF (grey import)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just been through this exercise myself to put blue LED's in the console.

With a small screwdriver you need to remove the small plate in front of the gearstick, and below the ashtray / cigarette lighter. There are 4 torx type screws to remove.

You will need to remove the head unit, and also any cage that you have fitted with the head unit. Either side of the aperture there will be another torx screw. Once removed, pull the console gently, and it will uncouple from the dash. Now the hard part. There will be very little slack on the heater control cables. You can pop the storage tray out underneath the heater switches. With a long screwdriver, take out the 4 clips that hold the heater control in place, and push the heater control out of the console. This will save you a big problem with the cables.

You will also need to remove the heater vents at the top, these are clipped in, but should push back if you put a screwdriver underneath the clips.

There is a how to in the tech forum, but it doesn't mention the hassle with the heater cables, and having just knacked my heater control going through the exercise of undoing the cables, I would suggest that if you can you leave the cables well alone.

Hope this helps. Keep everything in a small tin, and give yourself at least a couple of hours and plenty of day light.

Good Luck !