Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Unhappy Need advice on noisy neighbours

Hi,

I bought a new house (semi) and moved in there on 5th December.

Ever since I have been there, the neighbours, who are a couple in their 30's have been a bit noisy with banging doors and heavy footstaps, but I can live with this as its par for the course in flats/semi-detached accomodation. Their kids also stay with them somethimes so I expect a bit of that - no problems there.

I introduced myself to the lady on Sunday and she seemed very nice, even gave me a bottle of wine and a card which i was chuffed with.

However, during the day and early evening on a couple of occasions, they have played loud music, but again as its before 10pk, I didnt mind too much.

However, last night they had a friend round, and the loud music went on non-stop. I went to their door just after 10 and asked them politely if they would mind turning it down. The man said amicably, no bother, but there was no apology or anything. 5 mions later it was back up again and that was it till after 12.

I called my dad who said to sit tight as I had already made my point politely, and to go further would make things unpleasant, for now anyway.

I'm pretty gutted about this as I've only just moved in and already feel like a bit of a prisoner there now.

Does anyone have any advice on how do deal with this sort of problem? I'm worried I'll lose the rag one night and go round and do something stupid

Any advice would be greatfully received.

Iain
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Let it go this time but if they keep making loads of noise late at night keep asking then if it still carries on speak to the environmental health as its noise pollution.

They will ask how offten it happens so make a note of when it starts and finish's and that you asked them to turn it down.
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

kr00zin_uk
    Your best bet is to try and stay on their good side! It could save a lot of hassle and abuse in the future. Monitor the situation, if it's only the once off then I think it's fair enough (house warming/new years party etc). Otherwise keep a log and report them.

The best time to speak to them is now, before they have another "session". Because alcohol and a group of people will fuel the fire and be harder to keep under control. Just politely mention about the night and say you had to get up early and thought they might have turned the music off or down by 10...

Any respectable person should appreciate others around them and therefore take their considerations into account. If they don't take any notice then you can either ignore it and log or fight fire with fire by being even more antisocial in the hope that they get the message!!

Next time though if you can afford it, get a detached house with your own private driveway. I wouldn't live in anything less - I really would rather live in a cardboard box than live next door to a bunch of shity, good for nothing, selfish f**k nuggets!

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    As Lee said, get the environmental health bods in on the act.

I have heard that they can actually come out after hours and measure how many decibels the noise is.

Downside is that the neighbour will prolly make your life a bit difficult as they will guess it was you.

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Only way to get this sorted is as LET said, is get someone to come out and measure how loud the noise is, that way then, they can be issued with a warning then an ASBO I believe
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    let it go imo is the best way to go with this as they are only next door and you may live next to them for a long time
    and im sure you dont want it to be awkward! trouble i with people next door is that disagreements can get very petty and make your life hell!

see how it goes

environmental health will come out to your complaint but as youve already asked them to keep the noise down then they'll know its you who called them

it maybe worth trying to invite yourself round to theirs for a cuppa or something
    then if you see their stereo or something just say "ah so this is what kept me up the other night" (jokingly) hopefully they'll laugh and take it on board

if it happens again then invite them over for a cuppa or something and ask em what make their stereo is as it sounds quite good "even through walls"

hopefully they'll take the hint then

after that just have a couple of mid week parties

drop a letter round the day before you have one though just saying "just to let you know im having a party tomorrow night.... if you have any problems with this then let me know"
    if they have a problem with it then say oh ok .. we'll keep it down

then occasionally turn it up druing the night for 5 mins or so and blame the people who came and say that you told your mates to keep it down as you have thin walls and next door were trying to sleep

i think the best way to do the above is to drop hints .. tackling it head on this early in your relationship could cause unneeded agro between you guys

if the worst comes to the worst

play some music loudish
    when they complain ask if they want to go halfs on a cavity filler solution

sound insulation between both homes = selling point and everyones happy

just dont get angry about it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Moved into our last house about 8 years ago. Neibour was an alcaholic. Started as soon as we moved in listenign to loud music. then it got worse and lated into the night keeping us awake. Many times goign round there telling him to turn it down. After he has had rows with his wife the police were called one time, then his son came round and beat him up, police were called (Funnily enough not by me, let them too it, least if he was in hospital it would be quiet). As the years went on, we had reported him and nothing happened about it.

The best thing that ever happened was when I got fed up and wired up 4 large hi-fi speakers to an even larger amp I had and put The Black Eyes Peas - Pump It on so repeat so loud that we had to go out the house. Was such a great feeling, did that a few times . Least it drowned out his music with better music.

Even worse he worked for my father and built my grandparents conservatory and still didn't care.

About a month after we moved down to Cornwall we found out that he had got so drunk that he had had a heart attack and died face down on his settee. Bugger

Steve.
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe turbo
    lag is a thing which warns me get ready for action.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the replies folks - really appreciate your help

I'm glad I was polite to them last night - at least I'm still on their good side for now, even if they are not on mine.

The environmental health route will be my next step. Funnily enough, the previous owner left a leaflet from the council stuck to the boiler with 'helpful' numbers including for them....

First thing I'll do is start a diary of events though, I feel like a right busybody lol, but this is my home and I wont let them spoil it.

I though I was being sensible by keeping some of my savings and buying this cheaper, smaller house, could have afforded detached too.

As I finish this post, the music has started again
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Suggest they F**k Off and die or you will cut their heads off with a blunt spoon!! No really that is a bit over the top for a first offence. Knock on their door holding your bible and politely ask them to huss down or you will get you spoon out!
    No No really there is not a lot you can do if they want to be noisy they will be. It might just be the case that the party wall is thin and the music resonates louder than it actually is into your home. Just try and stay positive and think there are worse things happening to others around the world, it doesn’t work because you cant hear yourself thinking!!.
    If they are rude and don’t take your right to a bit of silence then as other posts have suggested you will need to keep a log and get Enviro in, but that will only get the neighbours backs up, so they might play the music all through the day just to really annoy you.
    Stay calm be polite but firm in what you expect ie if you want the music off by 11pm or really really quite you need to state that in your conservation, or invite them around to your house to listen to the volume you are complaining about. Even better try and get invited to one of their parties it may just be the icebreaker that is required, because if you know your neighbours more than just a hello and hows the weather you are more forgiving for their annoying things they do. Remember once you are rude to them they may just not listen to you regardless and think you are one of life wingers even if they are rude to you, cas you can go around next morning and if they were a bit merry they probably didn’t mean to be rude but it may give you more leverage for them to try and understand your views on the matter. So the steps are 1.Polite Calm Firm Step 2. Keep log get Enviro in 3. Go to Argos and buy some new spoons! Good luck m8

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If they are alcaholics you might not have to put up with ti for much longer...
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe turbo
    lag is a thing which warns me get ready for action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast