Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.6 8v Few questions, spark plugs, mayo etc

Hi all,

Just had a couple of questions, firstly, my engine is a 1.6 8v 1999, the plugs were changed less than 2k miles ago, yet when i went to service it i changed them again and they were quite black, not the normal expected chocolately colour, what could i be looking at? Doesn't seem to have any poor running at all though but i thought this was a little quick for the plugs to foul up though surely!

Mileage is at 140k, with FSH upto around 110k, head gasket was recently done, but mayo keeps appearing on the filler cap, even after an oil and filter change, is this normal for an engine of this mileage?

any ideas appreciated

thanks

alex m

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Regarding the plugs - it sounds like the car might be running a little too rich.

The mayo is normal on this engine and is nothing to be worried about. Give it a good long journey and a bit of a ragging to clear it all up

fdrightup
    Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    Regarding the plugs - it sounds like the car might be running a little too rich.

The mayo is normal on this engine and is nothing to be worried about. Give it a good long journey and a bit of a ragging to clear it all up
    if the engine is running a little rich could it be the o2 sensor on the way out also does your engine use more fuel than before and has your air filter been changed

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fdrightup View Post
    if the engine is running a little rich could it be the o2 sensor on the way out also does your engine use more fuel than before and has your air filter been changed

It did have a pipercross induction kit on it, but i took this off and derestricted the standard airbox and stuck in a new filter, the airbox is missing a couple of clips so vibrates past around half throttle but wouldnt of thought this would make it run rich?

It does make me think its running rich if ALL the plugs foul like that quickly, its not too great on fuel really, i would have expected better, obviously if i granny shift at 2-2.5 k RPM then i get alright consumption, but as for normal driving it drinks it pretty quick!!

O2 sensor then??, would the EM Light come on when its REALLY knackered?

Thanks alot so far!=]

Alex

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    RIGHT!!...

I've just had a look around, and i think im getting extremely poor fuel economy!!.. if i drive as CAREFULLY as possible on a full tank until the fuel light comes on, im only getting 250 miles to a tank!!!!!

Surely this isnt normal?!, Also it seems to be allllways cold, it will heat up eventually if stationary, never moves otherwise, could this be causing the plugs to foul because its cold all the time?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thermostat is buggered then...seems loads of cars with that gone at the moment! If it warms up in traffic/standing but then cools down quickly when moving then this is the most likely cause. £35-£40 for a new one at a guess and an easy enough job - worth doing for the fuel economy alone!

May well explain the plugs but not entirely sure.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok thanks for the help mate appreciate that!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not sure which 8v you have but on mine i think the thermostat is situated kinda behind the cam pulley

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have 1998 S reg 1.6 8v Auto (bought in Sept 0 with 42k and get about the same mileage 230/250 full tank to near empty.

Car also has mayo under oil cap.

Having thermostst changed this Friday, think stuck opened as temp gauge never moves.

Other than that car fine,

fdrightup
    Quote Originally Posted by repoker23 View Post
    I have 1998 S reg 1.6 8v Auto (bought in Sept 0 with 42k and get about the same mileage 230/250 full tank to near empty.

Car also has mayo under oil cap.

Having thermostst changed this Friday, think stuck opened as temp gauge never moves.

Other than that car fine,
    does your engine get mayo under the oil cap when you do short or long journeys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast