Thread: Boot Switch Fault

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Boot Switch Fault

So my boot wouldn't open, MK5 Astra just out of warranty.

In the run up to it failing it had become difficult to open, needing to press very hard on the handle.

Having read other threads I checked all the other rear electrical components were working, so no fuses blown.

There was no click when I pressed the button, so looked like a switch fault rather than solenoid.

First problem, how to get the boot open. One thread said to start taking all the trim off, but I found an easier way.

On the inside of the boot there is a little rubber cap. I couldn't get it out so I pushed it into the boot trim (you can recover it later).

Inside you can insert the extension piece of a socket set, direct into the centre of the lock mechanism. Rotate gently and the lock opens.

Now remove the plastic around the catch, couple of screws.

Now remove the boot lining. A few of those annoying plastic catches which pull out with a bit of force. It is possible to get it off and back on again without removing the plastic on either side of the screen.

You can now recover the rubber cap if you pushed it in.

Now undo the nuts holding the silver strip on the outside of the boot, this should release the strip and the switch.

Disconnect the cable where it goes through the body work.

Now remove the switch housing from the silver strip, the rubber pad you press can be eased off.

Temporarily connect the wiring. Check you can close and open the boot so you know the switch and wiring are fine - mine was.

You should find the microswitch is held in a slot in the plastic housing.

What I found is the switch is held in place with a splurge of hot glue. After three years the glue has gone hard and cracked, so the switch has moved back in the slot, so no longer works.

Push the switch fully into the slot and put a bit of superglue on it.

Once the glue is set reassemble in reverse order.

Took about an hour from start to finish. Has now been working fine for a couple of months. No cost to fix either.

If only all the other examples of poor build quality could be fixed so easily. ;-)

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Welcome mate

Thats a great bit of info, thank you. Hopefully it will come in handy to others
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i always wondered what that stupid plug thing was on the boot lid trim.... this explains all now. can you remember what size drive extension bar you used??? 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2 drive?????

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know i am revisiting an old post but have the same problem on my Astra.

Managed to get the boot open, remove the trim etc, but the external silver trim will not come off ..

Removed 3 of the nuts but the others just turn without loosening ..not enough space in there either to try and grip it properly to try and remove ..

so i'm pretty stuck at the moment ..any ideas ?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    spegguk , Your post exactly described the problem and solution for my Astra MK5. In particular I would not have had the confidence to force off the boot trim if I had not read your post. Two detail differences in my case - there was one tor-x screw and one expanding rivet fixing the plastic round the catch; I did not have a socket extension to fit the catch mechanism but a 5/16th Allen key fitted nicely.
    Many thanks.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    spegguk what a legend, this had happened to my boot and i just nipped out and followed your guide and within an hour it was working a treat.

THANK YOU!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I've just done this to my Astra as the switch needed pressing hard to open it. After about an hours work it now works great thanks spegguk

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi just followed the instructions step by step and for less than and hour and £2 for superglue I can now finally open my boot very easily for the first time in 2 years! Thanks for post and cant help wondering how much vauxhall would have charged

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just a big thanks.

Just wanted to say a big thanks for the information in this post. The directions were simple to follow and saved me some decent money.

The internet was designed for sites just like this.

Regards

A happy astra owner

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up Another big thank you

Again, I wanted to say thanks for posting this. A dollup of superglue has fixed the recently stuck boot of my Astra mk 5 Estate. Works fine now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast