Thread: 1080P Unscale On Home Cinemas!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1080P Unscale On Home Cinemas!

How? I have a Samsung 50'' Plasma thats has 1080i. How will it make my TV a 1080P when the best it can do for my PS3 via HDMI is 1080i? Very Confused! LOL. Also, is 1080P via a DVD as good as Blu Ray?

This is the surround sound i am looking at getting
    Panasonic SC-PT860EB-K

Cheers

(comment's on the system would be helpful )
    You Can Sleep In Your Car But You Can't race Your House!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the ps3 upscales DVDs upto 1080p, if its not check in your settings.

an upscaled DVD have very good picture quality IMHO.
    not sure how it will fair on a 50inch though, the bigger the screen the more pixels you will see.

i cannot comment on the system im afraid
    Hey Dick,whats in for the Big Brain Quiz tonight? Certainly Gents, thats 200 quid. WHAT! each! DOUBLE WHAT! Thats abit steep isnt it...? steep...its f-ing verticle!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My PS3 runs at optimal seetings for 1080i tho, i cannot change this as the tv is 1080i, so thats why i would like to know how the DVD upscales to 1080P, or do i have to have a 1080P tv!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    You need a 1080 p TV.

The one you've got will probably do 1080i / 720p, but you'll need a different one to do 1080p.

The PS3 will detect the capability of the TV through the HDMI cable, so is most likely at the optimum settings, you won't be able to go any higher.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So 1080P Upscale is not the main thing to look for when i purscahse my new Home Cinema stuff then! LOL. PS3 does a good job anyway

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    IMO the PS3 is a great bit of kit, and TBH I mainly use mine to play downloaded AVI files straight of a USB stick rather than for games.
    They upscale brilliantly, and with regards to Blu-Ray vs Upscaled DVD, the Blu-rays have a better depth of colour and the definition is better compared to an upscaled DVD,
    but when you compare buying the same film on DVD for 3 quid instead of £20+, the upscale does an excellent job.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On still images your tv (at 1080i) will show the same image as a 1080p tv - the PS3 will still be upscaling correctly (or should be at least).

Quote Originally Posted by NickW View Post
    Also, is 1080P via a DVD as good as Blu Ray?
    Short answer: no. DVDs will not come close to matching Bluray.

Long Answer:

Upscaling is to effectively take each dvd frame (720×576 or 0.4MP), load it in to a photoshop, click the image resize button and type in 1920x1080 (or 2MP).

Those 1.6 million pixels can't be restored - whatever should be there can only be approximated from the neighbouring pixels. The simplest algorithm will simply make each pixel bigger - in which case it'll look no better then a low (dvd) resolution tv of the same size. Fancier algorithms can look at clusters of pixels to continue colour gradients - some even detecting basic shapes to try to fill in the missing detail (your eye does a similar thing) - but they can only ever approximate what was once there. The PS3 will do something like the latter - so it'll appear to have smoother / sharper graphics then a dvd resolution tv showing the same dvd - but will still pale compared to a source which has never lost all that detail in the first place.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If the TV does 1080i maximum then it will never do 1080p as the TV itself needs to support 'P'rogressive scan aswell as the inputting device e.g. PS3/BluRay etc.

'P'rogressive scan refreshes every line on the screen each refresh interval, whereas 'I'nterlaced refreshes odd lines on one refresh, then even on the next refresh. To most people it may make little difference, and it doesn't affect the resolution of the image being displayed, just the quality.

As for upscaling, the TV will do this even if the input device (e.g. normal DVD player) doesn't, whether an upscaling DVD player can do the scaling better than the TV may depend on the TV and e.g. DVD player themselves.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My 1080P tv only runs DVDs off my PS3 at 720p
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    upscaled dvd's will never beas good as blu-ray

but like someone said for £3 for one film upscaled is better than £20 for the blu-ray

also older films on blu-ray and be quite bad tbh

my original copy of full metal jacket upscaled is better quality than the bu-ray version

the best films for blu-ray are new ones eps pixar
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast