Thread: looking for advice on buying a VXR

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

looking for advice on buying a VXR

Ive been in 2 minds over the last few months over what car im going for next.

I was looking at leaving vauxhalls all together and going for a diesel golf GTi or a later GT sport, also thought about a diesel sport hatch.

However ive always liked the astra VXR since it came out and now the prices are getting sensible on the used car market im looking to purchase one in the coming months plus i cant turn my back on vauxhalls has i wont be able to attend anymore shows.

I have never owned a turbo car before and not really driven them before tbh other than the odd Mk5 Golf GTI at work but thats only up and down the compound etc.

Ive found a nice 06 plate in black with 21k the 19s, FSH and whats left of the warrentty for this year. The dealer is asking £11k for it.
    I also found a 57 plate in black with 12k and the 18s for £13k but that sold the day before emailed them about it.

Really i would be looking for 06/56 plate, what would i need to look out for in general?

Im not going to rush into buying one as there are plenty about and intend to test drive some as i want to see how they have been treated. Last thing i want is one that some has no idea of turbos and turned it off everyday straight after boosting the turbo.

Also i only travel around 6 miles a day to work so fuel consumption wont be the best over that distance

greatfull for any info

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just common sense things... as you've already mentioned...

You'd probably be able to get a white one cheap these days...

Pistonheads alwayts seem to have loads....Also ask Mr Dempsey - he can do good deals nationwide....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I seen a white one for 14k on corsa-c
    MR2 MK2 G-Limited
    ASTRA LINEA ROSSA

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    one a few of the dealer websites i have looked on i have found Burg edt for as little as £15k with delivery miles on. Finaly the market is looking sensible for these cars

Status
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just had one mate (october)and i love it,never had a turbo before either and when you put your foot down a smile comes on your face, if you want to know more look on here http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/index.php unless you know who's had the car before i dont think you'll really know if they've done the warming down etc,i do 6 miles to work and 6 back and im averaging 26/27 mpg but never really get it in 6 gear its all stop start,i went the longer way round(probably extra mile and half) down a by pass and duel carriage way and because your in top gear more the mpg creeps up.
    She's a nice un

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j12mkw View Post
    I just had one mate (october)and i love it,never had a turbo before either and when you put your foot down a smile comes on your face, if you want to know more look on here http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/index.phpunless you know who's had the car before i dont think you'll really know if they've done the warming down etc,i do 6 miles to work and 6 back and im averaging 26/27 mpg but never really get it in 6 gear its all stop start,i went the longer way round(probably extra mile and half) to work down a by pass and duel carriage way and because your in top gear more the mpg creeps up.
    Thanks for the info.

My journey to work is through an housing estate which you never get out of 2nd thanks to stupid design of the place and then country lanes with a 30mph limit so 26/27 wouldnt be to bad as there no chance of getting into 6th.

I went out in one when they first came out and that was the first turbo car i went in even has a passenger the smile factor was a big grin lol

Status
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No problem mate good luck looking and enjoy.
    She's a nice un

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When you do get one mate, fit cruise control to it. It's easy enough, just swap the stalks over and have it activated on tech2. It'll do wonders for fuel consumption. I'm getting about 32mpg in mine.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had that done on mine too
    She's a nice un

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazTD View Post
    When you do get one mate, fit cruise control to it. It's easy enough, just swap the stalks over and have it activated on tech2. It'll do wonders for fuel consumption. I'm getting about 32mpg in mine.
    Funny you should mention that as i said it in passing conversation in front my parents and my mum said i was lazy lol

I will have to try and control my right foot and not use the turbo on the way to work lol