AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    Astra SRI-T
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oil Temperature Gauge Fitting

I got an Auto Gauge Oil temperature gauge for Christmas, and on the temperature sender I have two wires coming out of it, yet the instructions don't say what to do with them.

A pic of the sender is here:

The fitting guide says that I should fit 18-gauge twin conductor wire through the firewall using the grommet. Connect one end to the terminal post on temperature sender, and opposite end to sender (S) terminal on back of gauge.

I plan to fit the temperature sender next to the oil filter using a modified bolt as found in MattCoupTurbo's post here: http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...il+temperature and http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...il+temperature Is this the best way of wiring up the oil temperature sender?

Which wire do I connect up and what do i do with the other wire?

I will also be purchasing an oil pressure gauge so would it be a good idea to mount the pressure sender using another modified bolt next to the oil filter or use a t-piece and mount it where the o/e oil pressure switch is located?

Any help is greatly welcomed.

Cheers

Alex

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does the gauge have two wires for the sender off it? my old gauge only had one wire which as you said was connected from the s position on the back of the gauge and went to the sender. If yours is still only meant to have one wire on then i'd say connect it to the red one and see if you get a result,if not try the other one. Seems strange to have red and black wires coming out but not use them both. Does the instructions not come with a wiring diagram?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    most of the time you will have one wire for the gauge and the other will be for the low pressure switch for the dash light as they normaly replace the original switch. the outer case is used for the earth. in the instuctions does it show the sensor from the gauge going to earth or 12v ?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    Astra SRI-T
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanx for the replys, the instructions aren't very good, they say, fit 18-gauge twin conductor wire through the firewall using the grommet. Connect one end to the terminal post on temperature sender, and opposite end to sender (S) terminal on back of gauge. Then connect 12V + to the positive terminal on the back of the gauge and earth the - terminal on the back of the gauge. I'll put up the exact instructions when I get home and hopefully someone will be able to make sense of them

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so on the back of the guage you only have 1 pin in the s terminal or 2 ?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    Astra SRI-T
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astrav6 View Post
    Just the one pin! I was unsure whether or not to join both wires to the (s) pin but thought that it'd probabily ruin the gauge! The bit that threw me is that it says run 18 gauge twin conductor wire.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    Astra SRI-T
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astrav6 View Post
    Just the one pin! I was unsure whether or not to join both wires to the (s) pin but thought that it'd probabily ruin the gauge! The bit that threw me is that it says run 18 gauge twin conductor wire.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd guess one wire is an earth as the senders usually work that way.
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok id go with connecting the guage up to the 12v and gnd and then connect the s to each of the wires starting with red. if it is a normal type sender it will use the case as gnd and so will give a reading on the guage. if you get either a high off scale or a low off scale with the engine running then when you switch it off but just have the ign lights up you get the reverse this will be the warning light connection i.e on and off. change the connection to the other wire and see if you get the guage working corectly i think its about 20 psi on tickover and then 60+ when about say 1500 rpm. if neither of these work then connect the black to earth and the red to the S input and test it again.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    Astra SRI-T
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the replys, its oil temperature though, not oil pressure, although I shall be purchasing an oil pressure gauge soon. I think i'll end up buying a more expensive twin oil temp/oil pressure gauge in the future as it'll save space. But will try and get this gauge fitted for the time being!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast