Thread: hit brick on motorway

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hit brick on motorway

i was driving down the m-way not much over 60, when i came across rubble on the road. i had trafffic behind and in the overtaking lane also. i saw what looked like a brick at the las minute and i seemed to have drive over it or clipped it, as i looked in my mirror i could see my wheel trim rolling off behind me -i hadnt tied it on -as i was told they were pretty good for not coming off.

i pulled over later to check for damage (before going back over the section of m-way to retrive my wheel trim) and i was shocked to find that my back wheel rim (steel) had a dent in it (dented inwards) and my tyre had a gash it (as if it was stabbed with a knife and the rubber can be peeled back slightly) -my wheel trim was also scraped. some of the paintwork on my car is slightly scratched as well above the wheel.

i suppose i was lucky that worse damage wasnt caused and i was able to drive home without needed to replace the tyre. i was afraid of a tyre blowout.

anyhow i need advice on how to repair the damage:

paintwork -scratched over slightly
    tyre -seems ok to drive, however; mot at end of month and i do m-way driving everyweek
    wheel rim (15" steel)- dad says just swap for spare wheel and tyre in boot (but ive read on here that these are slightly smaller than those on the car?) cars a 04 mk4 1.7cdti
    wheel trim -noticable scratch, though could live with it. ebay or vauxhall dealership for 1? probably need to get tie's for all 4

other damage unnoticed underneath? -ie damage to inside of wheels and underbody -get mechanic to check at mot time

thanks

i had this incident after not been able to move my car the day before due to handbrake freezing due 2 frosty weather. i was getting very fed up with this car as ive only had it since oct.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get anew tyre as soon as possible if theres a gash in it. better safe than sorry, especially if your doing mainly motorway driving.

Vectra SRi 1.9 CDTi (150).
    Tinted Windows, Richbrook Gear Knob & Tax Disc Holder.
    Flip down sunglasses Holder.
    6000K HID's, Chilled Glovebox, CD70 Navi, Debadged, Samco Hoses.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the spare might be the same size on your car have a look and check.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the tyre with gash in it will fail the mot, and as already mentioned you need it sortin for you own saftey, as im sure you wouldnt want it to go bang on your motorway journeys

not 100% but im pretty sure your car wont pass an mot with the spare wheel on either as most of the time its a different size to the rest of the wheels on your car...

as for the replacement wheel trim, try ebay or your local breakers..

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You retreived your wheel trim from the motorway?!! Are you mad!! I would of left that for sure!
    Coupe Turbo Evolution - 320ps

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    your car will not fail its mot on the tyre unless its showing the metal chords, but i would change it myself just to be on the safe side
    Vectra GSi SeatsHella Headlights
    17" alloysPiper 3" rolled exhaust
    GSi Bumper & skirts
    Dropped on Coilovers

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinstone View Post
    i was driving down the m-way not much over 60, when i came across rubble on the road. i had trafffic behind and in the overtaking lane also. i saw what looked like a brick at the las minute and i seemed to have drive over it or clipped it, as i looked in my mirror i could see my wheel trim rolling off behind me -i hadnt tied it on -as i was told they were pretty good for not coming off.

i pulled over later to check for damage (before going back over the section of m-way to retrive my wheel trim) and i was shocked to find that my back wheel rim (steel) had a dent in it (dented inwards) and my tyre had a gash it (as if it was stabbed with a knife and the rubber can be peeled back slightly) -my wheel trim was also scraped. some of the paintwork on my car is slightly scratched as well above the wheel.

i suppose i was lucky that worse damage wasnt caused and i was able to drive home without needed to replace the tyre. i was afraid of a tyre blowout.

anyhow i need advice on how to repair the damage:

paintwork -scratched over slightly
    tyre -seems ok to drive, however; mot at end of month and i do m-way driving everyweek
    wheel rim (15" steel)- dad says just swap for spare wheel and tyre in boot (but ive read on here that these are slightly smaller than those on the car?) cars a 04 mk4 1.7cdti
    wheel trim -noticable scratch, though could live with it. ebay or vauxhall dealership for 1? probably need to get tie's for all 4

other damage unnoticed underneath? -ie damage to inside of wheels and underbody -get mechanic to check at mot time

thanks

i had this incident after not been able to move my car the day before due to handbrake freezing due 2 frosty weather. i was getting very fed up with this car as ive only had it since oct.
    u have a very appropriate name the rollin stone

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've still got my old 15" spare with a new tyre on it lying around somewhere. If your local you can have it.

I live in Stockport
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    I've still got my old 15" spare with a new tyre on it lying around somewhere. If your local you can have it.

I live in Stockport
    thanks for the offer. id have taken up the offer only i live in n.ireland.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fourteenhundred View Post
    your car will not fail its mot on the tyre unless its showing the metal chords, but i would change it myself just to be on the safe side
    dont want to tempt fate by talking about it, but im still driving on it. will probably change it when the mot is up at the end of the month. will check with mechanic for advice then. threads arent showing on it. it like a cut/gash into the rubber and the damaged wheel trim points to the gash as well, so the mot people will notice it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast