Thread: Astra Trouble... please help!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Astra Trouble... please help!

Hi,

I have an Astra 1.6 8v Active on an 03 plate and is making a dreadful tapping noise (see link), I have had the camshaft and lifters looked at and are all fine. The oil I'm using is 15v40. Someone mentioned that it could the oil pump as the noise wears off when its warm...

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...Video-0007.flv

Has anyone had the same problem or can anyone shed any light???

Many thanks
    Michael

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Something similar with mine happened, just check the oil level and it was very low, topped the oil up to normal level and it dissapeared.

Worth a check at the very least.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply.
    I check the oil quite freqently and the level seems to be ok, that's why I'm concerned with what it might be.

Any other thoughts?...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well when it was happening with mine the guy at the garage suggested the oil change and that worked for me, but he said other than that it could be one of the valves sticking.

No idea other than what i was told im afraid. Can only suggest taking it to a garage.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info. My Garage has looked at it and everything seems to be fine and he thinks it maybe a crack in the engine block, but he's unsure.
    Someone has mentioned the oil pump which I think I might get checked out but other that that I'm at a loss.

Not too sure what else too do apart from 'get rid'!

fdrightup
    Quote Originally Posted by XTiger1X View Post
    Hi,

I have an Astra 1.6 8v Active on an 03 plate and is making a dreadful tapping noise (see link), I have had the camshaft and lifters looked at and are all fine. The oil I'm using is 15v40. Someone mentioned that it could the oil pump as the noise wears off when its warm...

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...Video-0007.flv

Has anyone had the same problem or can anyone shed any light???

Many thanks
    Michael
    could it be the hydrolic lifters ticking from cold if so you could need new ones, lack of oil changes can cause the lifters to stick in the down position this happened on my engine 5 of them were stuck in the down position got the first 5 out but it took me a week to free up the other 3 lifters before i could get them out well tarred up

fdrightup
    Quote Originally Posted by XTiger1X View Post
    Thanks for the info. My Garage has looked at it and everything seems to be fine and he thinks it maybe a crack in the engine block, but he's unsure.
    Someone has mentioned the oil pump which I think I might get checked out but other that that I'm at a loss.

Not too sure what else too do apart from 'get rid'!

when you start up your engine does the oil light go off also does your oil light come on when driving or does it flicker on and off when driving, low oil pressure can be caused by worn main bearings

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there, I have had the lifters looked at and they seem to be fine. The oil light only comes on when the ignition is first on (as normal) then goes off and remains off. The oil has been changed just recently with a full service.
    My initail thought was the lifters but after getting my local garage look at the as well as the camshaft, I really don't know what to do.