Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Bumper scuff removal? little help!

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    ndhatter's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Bumper scuff removal? little help!

    did this a while back, cant stand to see it anymore when im slowly getting the rest of the car up together!...

    whats the best way to get this up to scratch?! (see what i did there)...

    can it be sanded, sprayed, lackered and buffed? or fillinng in first? its a nasty looking gouge!

    2001 Mk4 Astra 1.6 8v

  2. #2
    Status
    Offline
    buckle's Avatar
    /
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,921
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You'd need to flat back the paint and see how smooth it is. Will need a bit of filler though if its deep.

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    ndhatter's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    You'd need to flat back the paint and see how smooth it is. Will need a bit of filler though if its deep.
    flat back? what does that mean?
    2001 Mk4 Astra 1.6 8v

  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    willeywilson's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im pretty sure its just sanding down slightly i.e taking the laquer off and a bit of the paint and seeing how bad it is

  5. #5
    Status
    Offline
    buckle's Avatar
    /
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,921
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah flat back is just sanding. But I would sand it all the way back to bare plastic, as that will give you an idea of how deep the scratch is.

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    ndhatter's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Yeah flat back is just sanding. But I would sand it all the way back to bare plastic, as that will give you an idea of how deep the scratch is.
    ok thanks, think ill give that a go tommorrow, if it needs filling can i pick up the stuff from halfords or is it a professional job?
    2001 Mk4 Astra 1.6 8v

  7. #7
    Status
    Offline
    buckle's Avatar
    /
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,921
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You can get it from Halfords or a paint supply shop. Called something like P38 IIRC, comes in a round tub.

  8. #8
    Status
    Offline
    ndhatter's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    You can get it from Halfords or a paint supply shop. Called something like P38 IIRC, comes in a round tub.
    thanks mate, i'll have a look see!
    2001 Mk4 Astra 1.6 8v

  9. #9
    Status
    Offline
    buckle's Avatar
    /
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,921
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    No problem, this is the stuff that I use. Just check inside the tub to make sure it comes with the hardner and applicator. Otherwise you'llk have to buy them seperate or look for a kit with it all included

    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id_165625#dtab

  10. #10
    Status
    Offline
    ndhatter's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    No problem, this is the stuff that I use. Just check inside the tub to make sure it comes with the hardner and applicator. Otherwise you'llk have to buy them seperate or look for a kit with it all included

    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id_165625#dtab
    once again, many thanks...
    2001 Mk4 Astra 1.6 8v

Similar Threads

  1. Car bumper scuff
    By Z20SRI in forum Bodywork and Exterior
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22-03-2013, 13:13
  2. door scuff removal
    By Tristan001 in forum Car Care and Detailing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-09-2011, 12:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •