Thread: high mileage

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

high mileage

could any one tell me what a high millage is on a cdti 1.7 astra van is?? and at what millage the cambelt should be changed?? cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    high mileage i suppose depends on the age of the vehicle. my astra is 3 years old and has 47k on the clock which i would consider to be high but not majorly high.

i suppose you can work it on roughly that vehicle does 12k a year so for mine it should be 36k ish, so making it higher than average!
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine had 22k on it in one year, now thats high! I Think ADS means the sort of age you can expect them to live till? a well serviced model should live to 150k+, as for cam belt change you're looking at around 60k. the good thing about the new cdti is that the service intervals are now every 2 years or 20k miles too

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mines 2003 and got 130k on it
    Mk4 ASTRA 1.7DTI Estate On 126K Miles Now 127k 11/10/2008 - - 129K 28/11/2008 - - 130k 04/01/2009 -- Now 138k 08/05/2009 Now 142k and a broken Diff -- 144K

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olster888 View Post
    Mine had 22k on it in one year, now thats high! I Think ADS means the sort of age you can expect them to live till? a well serviced model should live to 150k+, as for cam belt change you're looking at around 60k. the good thing about the new cdti is that the service intervals are now every 2 years or 20k miles too

every 20k??? think anyone that sticks to that is going to have problems. the key to milage and reliability is very much the service, oil is the blood of an engine and should really be changed every 5-6k along with filters, now my dti engine is nearing 130k i like to do it every 4-5k which works out about every 2 months with the miles i do at about £50 a time its cheaper than a new engine and hopefully she'l be good for 200k at least
    project smoker is now stepping up a notch check garage for details

if its illegal to smoke until the age of 18 my astra should of been locked up ages ago!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    20k oil changes on my 02 SXi as per Vauxhall recommendations, still using no oil between services and running 133,338 miles now. Albeit mine is petrol, but engines and oil nowadays allow for less frequent changes, and motorway miles are way better for long term oil and engine life than shorter trips too.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    20k oil changes on my 02 SXi as per Vauxhall recommendations, still using no oil between services and running 133,338 miles now. Albeit mine is petrol, but engines and oil nowadays allow for less frequent changes, and motorway miles are way better for long term oil and engine life than shorter trips too.

blimy thats even worse than long changes in a diesel in my opinion as the engine you have is the chain driven type?? and these are renowned for snapping due to lack of service and the oilways blocking and starving the head etc of oil and i'v now changed 3 of these engines two in corsa's 1 an s reg with 97k, 1 03 reg with 68k and an agila with 58k all with snapped cambelts due to oil starvation, i stripped one of them down and the amount of crud in it was unbelievable but i think the problem with them engines is the paper filter breaks down quickly and certainly doesnt last 20k as i checked all 3 filters at the time and were all found to be very poor condition. anyway personal preference but i always advise anyone to look after there engine, i no it can be expensive going to a garage every time but its easier enough to do with a few simple tools
    project smoker is now stepping up a notch check garage for details

if its illegal to smoke until the age of 18 my astra should of been locked up ages ago!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think 12k per year is considered average. Anything above that would be considered high mileage. So just multiply how old your car is by 12k and if you're significantly above that then it's high mileage.

Diesel engines should go forever though if looked after.
    No longer an astra owner

Now a Vectra owner

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by White Van Man View Post
    every 20k??? think anyone that sticks to that is going to have problems. the key to milage and reliability is very much the service, oil is the blood of an engine and should really be changed every 5-6k along with filters, now my dti engine is nearing 130k i like to do it every 4-5k which works out about every 2 months with the miles i do at about £50 a time its cheaper than a new engine and hopefully she'l be good for 200k at least
    I agree that oil should be changed more regularly than that, but 20k is the official vauxhall guideline...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mines done 95,000 on 53 plate serviced every 20,000 before i bought it i generally change oil and filters twice a year belt was done at 80,000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast