Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dbilas Exhaust Manifold problem (& general moan)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dbilas Exhaust Manifold problem (& general moan)

Quite a strange one this but here goes

Im doin some work on a mates 2003 ACT to get it back to tip top condition

I stripped the flowmaster off to fit the original box & x-over only to encounter a total git of a problem

it would seem that the manifold has made the turbo sit further downwards or theres been some previous surgery done to the inlet pipe on the blower so that the rubber connecting hose from the x-over doesnt fit

I know that sum1 who shall remain nameless who thought he knew what he was doin has messed about with it in the past so feck knows whats been done

anyway heres a pic so u can see what i mean

The plan was to fit a rubber hose thats a little larger than the diameter and just make it fit albeit probably with a little kink or again make it fit with a straight section of pipe - but in turn this would make the x-over offset against the cam cover.

If u fit the x-over onto the turbo intake with the original rubber hose, here's how far out it is at the top!

Now as it was getting dark I had to abandon the project but now im starting to think if the air hose from airbox-to-AFM is the right way round.... totally confuddled now

Can anyone think of a reason for this as I seem to be massively confused not to mention a bit pissed off thinkin Id get at least this part of the equation sorted.

On another note, I fitted a brand new 70AH battery as the last one was dead and it fires up perfectly now - but runs like a bag of shite if the x-over is connected (albeit on the piss) to the turbo intake.

remove the rubber connecting hose so unfiltered air is goin in the turbo and it idles perfectly...

Its also got the front lambda code stored which leads me to think AFM

Im gonna put my AFM on next to see if this helps matters..... again, if anyone can shed some light it would be a great start

Main problem at this stage is getting the x-over lined up and securely connected so gonna have to dig out some suitably sized rubber hose....

Any help u can give please shout up

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had this problem when fitting mine mate. could not find a problem with the way ive fitted either. I dont think mine fitted quite as bad as this though, what i found was if you use the standard intercooler pipe from cooler to throttle body and cut it using just the first kink it fits fine and its not too noticable tbh.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers for that - i'll have a look to see if theres any 2.5" hose lyin about that i can have a go with - sadly neither of us have the original boost pipes so cant use that method but will see what we can come up with.

is it meant to sit this far down (the turbo i mean) or do u think its been messed about with at some point?

I know my favourite tuner (as if) did some work to it (TMS) but no idea if this is their handywork or the kid who's been workin on it prev

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there are 4 10mm bolts that hold the inlet houseing of the turbo to the main body. just loosen these and rotate the inlet casting bringing the two pipes back in line !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    yes the Turbo dose move a bit on the manifold away from the Block
    I dont have the cross over pipe fitted i used the 1.9cdti airbox setup

what I would do is Trim the AFM pipe work a bit to make the cross over pipe move down about 20mm to 30mm
    thats how my turbo fits same as that

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how easy is it to spin the housing Mick? I mean is it gonna be a knuckle scraping job from the pics

we did consider the 2.2/1.9 but the owner is on a severe budget and its only due to the sale of the flowmaster ive been able to get what bits i have.

did think the 2.2 would be worthwhile seeing as i have a 2.2 filter but thought id still have the same problem lining it up with the inlet

danny thats pretty much what i was thinking tbh - trim the airbox-afm pipe so the x-over at least fits on flush then just forget about the x-over to tophat mounting or maybe make a bracket to fit between the 2

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can move the turbo housing in the manifold but be carefull when doing this as you can get it slightly pissed and touch the blades on the housing. i found this didnt fully rectify the problem. Also you cannot make the cross over pipe move down and further as it touches the cam cover.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    on the x over pipe just leave it the pipe work will Hold it in place as the Bolt will not fit ?
    you could use a strip of alloy if wanted and a few 10mm Bolts
    the xover pipe will rest on the rocker cover

also on the Turbo I would give that a bit of a Spray with Brake cleaner or Carb Cleaner as that very Dirty on the inlet

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    cheers for that - i'll have a look to see if theres any 2.5" hose lyin about that i can have a go with - sadly neither of us have the original boost pipes so cant use that method but will see what we can come up with.

is it meant to sit this far down (the turbo i mean) or do u think its been messed about with at some point?

I know my favourite tuner (as if) did some work to it (TMS) but no idea if this is their handywork or the kid who's been workin on it prev

hello marti. i still have my original pipe mate if you need it.
    ''we do not quit modifying because we grow old,''
    '' we grow old because we quit modifying ''

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah mate if u could dig it out it would be mega useful - i'll be in touch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast