Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter

car washing - snowing up?

Normally use just bucket/sponge/shampoo when washing car. recently used the showroom shine (see other posts) but am still looking at other ways of making the car nice and clean.

have seen posts on here of people using "snow" then jet washing it off the car. is it simple a case of spraying onto car and hosing/jet washing off? can anyone recommend a good "snow" to use. i will be popping along to halfords on my day off on friday so if anyone knows if they sell anything good, the please let me know, all comments greatly appreciated.

i still intend to use the showroom shine in future but once the car has been washed and dried. i don't intend to go straight for it with the showroom shine again (especially not now the car is covered in a weeks worth of road salt!!!!)
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Unsure if Halfords is the best place to shop for detailing stuff, www.cleanyourcar.co.uk is a recommended online shop on here by a few people and is well worth a look.

Snow foam is used to (I think) loosen any surface dirt before washing, so snow foam, leave to soak, pressure wash off, then wash with decent shampoo and ideally a lambswool mitt to reduce the chances of swirl marks. I think snow foam needs a special lance attachement on the pressure washer though to make the suds.

Overall for decent long term shine, clay the car after this, wash again, polish then wax. Showroom shine would be more suitable at future washes - wash car then dry (microfibre cloths, not chamois as chamois can damage the clearcote and remove wax) using the Showroom Shine as a spritz to help bring the shine back when drying. I think this may be what you're doing already though, I've not checked your other posts.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can get a snow foam lance from halfrauds:
    i used one to clean my car yesterday adn with VX cleaning stuff i got this from it;

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=176535

you can see the lance thing in one of the pics, only stuff halfords sell is Megs Gold wash, which you can use!!

Vectra SRi 1.9 CDTi (150).
    Tinted Windows, Richbrook Gear Knob & Tax Disc Holder.
    Flip down sunglasses Holder.
    6000K HID's, Chilled Glovebox, CD70 Navi, Debadged, Samco Hoses.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    snow foaming is just a pre wash. i don't foam as my car is never dirty enough to warrant a pre wash, and most dirt is removed with just a hose lol.

i didn't know halfords did a foam lance, can i ask how much it was? maxi suds is good for a pre wash as well as washing.
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    i wanna make sure i get the correct stuff. i already have a karcher pressure washer, i know this is a lance, but is it the correct one to be using for "snowing"?:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165569

and this the meg gold stuff mentioned above:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165527

and also a wash mitt for after the snowing:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165609

an sorted for the rest of it, have a whole range of micro fibre cloths at home to use to dry the car. comment appreciated. many thanks
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well wash wise i would get megs nxt wash. and for a washmitt halfords own sheepskin mitt is brill. i use one!

lance wise hmmmmmm the autobrite one is better as it is adjustable mix but does cost a bit more.
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    will an autobrite lance fit on a karcher pressure washer though? i can see i will end up with quite a list of items i will be buying, mr halfords is gunna love me!

have got 3 cars to wash on friday as well so i want something which is reatively straight forward!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes the autbrite one will fit karcher washers. speak to vxrmarc about them.

it cannot be bought from halfords

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertone ben View Post
    snow foaming is just a pre wash. i don't foam as my car is never dirty enough to warrant a pre wash, and most dirt is removed with just a hose lol.

i didn't know halfords did a foam lance, can i ask how much it was? maxi suds is good for a pre wash as well as washing.

twas £15 mate!!, not brill but gives okies foam id say

Vectra SRi 1.9 CDTi (150).
    Tinted Windows, Richbrook Gear Knob & Tax Disc Holder.
    Flip down sunglasses Holder.
    6000K HID's, Chilled Glovebox, CD70 Navi, Debadged, Samco Hoses.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I normally prewash with a mix of Super Snow Foam and Maxi Suds in a chemical weed sprayer, works a treat.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast