Thread: Astra Coupe bits to look for HELP?!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra Coupe bits to look for HELP?!

Hi there,

I'm still undecided on the car i want to go for, the one from the Trade dealership has a few minor issues but i would like to know from YOUR experience if they are going to be major problems for me!

Gearbox is a little sticky and takes a good minute journey to become less resistant

Exhaust back box has most of its outer layer corroded but has a good all round thickness of the inner layer.

61,000 miles on the clock and only one turbo but with a previous lady owner

I'm yet to look for Head gasket damage and under the bonnet, BUT the main issu i have is the Gearbox i dont want to fork out £4k for a car thats going to cost me money to start enjoying and being reliable! for that cash id expect it to be in atleast fine condition.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've had a few gearboxes like that, it's just normal I think. They get better once warmed up. Same goes for the backbox, mines like that now. Thats just the normal above, as I have seen it so many times on different Astras

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mines a little like that too mate once its warmed up its fine.

Adam
    PHASE 3 ON A SWITCH WIV A GARRETT

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra 1.8vvt X Pack
    Mentioned in
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    All the back boxes corrod like that on these its common, as for the gearbox an oil change usually helps with the sticking when cold. Lift the bonnet when cold and start the car to check for manifold leaks and see if you can see all the manifold studs are there as they are also common for snapping off and its no fun if you have to drill them out. make sure it does not smoke on idle aswell.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    like john says,a oil change in the gearbox will normally get rid of any sticking problems and the bacbox is a commen problem mines has now got a hole in it which is a bit of a pain in the arse but i will be going stainless after christmas. dont let a few minor things put you off buying the car.
    God bless turbos!!!!