Thread: Astra G Electric Mirrors

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Post Astra G Electric Mirrors

My apologies if I seem thick, but I am new to this scene. I recently bought a low mileage Astra Club 8v 1.6 on an X / 2000 plate. I am trying to bling it up abit. I've fitted decent alloys, and I am in the process of changing the dials etc to blue led's as the car is a metalic blue.

I've recently purchases some aftermarket M3 style door mirrors which have LED indicator repeaters or Blue LED's in the mirror housing. They're also manual or electric, and I'd like to make them elctrically operated. I have the space in the door card for the switches, and having read a few of the forums, I understand that there might be a chance that the wires might be already in the door for the mirrors??? If they're not, I understand that I can buy the door looms; I've just spoken with my local Vauxhall dealer who to be honest thought I was some sort of nut case!!

Has anyone attempted this on a 'club' spec vehicle, and is it easier or harder than I think? I'm reasonably conversant with what I think I have to do, but I didn't want to have to start putting in wires etc if there is an easy way to do this mod.

Has anyone fitted this type of mirror before? Are the indicator repeaters in the mirrors easy to wire in? I understand that I need to take a feed from the wing repeaters?

Any help or advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Take the drivers door panel off and check for unused connectors up by the mirror and down where the switch goes. If you haven't got them check for extra wires in the door grommet and for terminals on both sides of the electric mirror fuses

There's a high chance there's no wiring in there at all for the mirrors
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up Astra Electric Mirrors

Assuming the worst and the wires aren't there, is there a way of wiring them up that doesn't involve buying the Vauxhall door looms? I spoke with our local Vauxhall dealer, Wilson & Co, and they've given me a price of
    £ 122 per door for the looms!! I've already purchased the mirrors, and could fit them, and move them manually, but it would be a shame to not use the motors. The same goes for the indicator repeaters. I have the option to use the Blue LED's in the markers, and take a feed from the head lights, or the other option to use the orange LED's, and have them as indicator repeaters. If I have to wire them in myself, do I take the feed from the fusebox?

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Cheers

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Yes they could be wired in without the looms being in place. Your really going to need the switch though, the plug that goes into it (both can walk out a scrap yard ) and some electrical knoledge along with a haynes manual
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Post Astra Electric Mirrors

Thanks. I'll have a scout around to see if I can find the switches, and will chop the plug that goes into the switch if I can find them. I've got the Haynes manual, and have printed off the 'How to' from the tech forum for fitting electric mirrors. The mirrors I have won't be heated I guess so will I need to insert the relay in the fusebox, or will I get away with just the fuse. I might liberate the relay as well if I find the switches still on the vehicle.

Cheers