Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb 8v to a 16v

hey yal just a quick Q

thinking later in the cars life (when its dead) keeping the shell ( good nick once small dents and new paint done ) and droping a 1.6 16v into it if its straight forward enough or maybe even a 1.8 . Is it plausable and easy enough?
    2000, 1.6 8v, 148k miles-156k now 160k and not far off dyeing. Oh and still growing. -There may be spelling mistakes in my posts but at least you still understand it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    seems plausable

if you have a f17 in the car now... then all you will need is the engine and the elecys to run the engine

if you havent got the f17, then you will need that for the 16v's, and possibly all the running gear for the f17 too... unless whatever you have now can be mashed onto the side of the 16v's

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i aint got a clue what the gear box is on the 8v but will try to find out.
    2000, 1.6 8v, 148k miles-156k now 160k and not far off dyeing. Oh and still growing. -There may be spelling mistakes in my posts but at least you still understand it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just had a look for you mate and all the 1.6's and the 1.8's appear to use the f17, although it seems they may have different bell housings, so would be worth checking to see which one you have

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wrong again!

you'll have the F13 in your SZR mate

if i was goin to the hassle of converting an 8v (oh wait Ive already done that lol) id be changing the box to something a little more in keeping with the power of the 16v motor - id imagine youd want to tune it therefore the F17 would be a good compromise

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ahh yeah forgot about the szr

personally if i were engine swapping id put in a ne or xe?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Id go for the 20SEH personally and keep it 8v - thats what i was gonna do with mine until i went for the most expensive option lol

old skool 8v for the win

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i love the sound of tuned 8 valves, they are just so much nicer to hear at full chat, espescially with throttle body per cylinder

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking Tuning an 8V / 1.6

Hi, have been reading some of the replies to this question, and I have a further question. I run a 2000 / X plate 1.6 8V. It's low mileage; only 64 K which is blinding for its age, and therefore I wanted to keep the motor, but slightly mod the engine to give it a bit for go. Are there any easy mods that I can do that do not make the engine less useable. Its my work car, and having gone from a 1.8 / 16V Vectra to the 1.6 / 8V I've noticed that the exceleration, and top end are totally different. Would I see much of an improvement if I changed the air filter, and housing from the standard Vauxhall item to a K & N type filter and housing? I don't want to wreck the MPG, which to be fair isn't great at the mo... I get less than 30 to the gallon, but I thought that this was because most of what I do is motorway mileage at 75/80 mph...

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sort out the induction and exhaust is a must

on the 16v engines we advise the standard airbox but with an uprated panel filter but on the 8v engines they dont get so hot so a induction kit is a worthwhile mod -- unfortunately they sound so good on these engines u tend to rev more than needed thus using more fuel

so therefore in your situation i would advise retaining the original box but fitting an uprated air intake from a vectra diesel (see how-to section) mated up with a k&n panel filter

next is the exhaust system

a cat back system is a must IMO

what engine do u have? X16SZR with cat underneath the car or Z16SE with cat on the exhaust manifold?

If its the earlier one then u can fit a sports cat and free up an extra 5-10 ponies - i just happen to have one for sale

later models have off the shelf sports cat available but are very pricey - easier to fit a manifold off an earlier model and fit the sports cat above, with an additional lambda boss fitted for the additiona o2 sensor probe ur sorted.

depending on which engine u have then you should see a healthy gain of about 15bp with the above mods.

next step imo would be a fast road cam - £150 from piper

then either leave it as it is or give it a remap to make the most of all the mods

Essentially the question here is..... what do u want to achieve and whats the budget. Do u want performance as well as sound... or just performance....or a bit of everything whilst retaining fairly decent mpg.

I used to have the early X16SZR in mine - had all the mods above except the cam and even though it was never rolling roaded i estimated it had gained about 15-20 more ponies than the standard 73bhp.
    Driveability was greatly improved, it sounded awesome and economy was still fairly good.

If u want any more info either drop me a PM or create a new thread in the Normally Aspirated Models section of the forum - just so we can keep this thread on track for its original purpose

HTH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast