Thread: Hard Drive into back of Stereo

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hard Drive into back of Stereo

i was looking around at cd players at halfords. I noticed some that now have usb slots in the back of them. Does anyone know or has setup an external hard drive through usb? Does it work, I was thinking of getting one and putting all my music on a 2.5" HDD.

Cheers in advance

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

ive been running a HDD in a car for around 2yrs now. It works great, only downfall is music isnt instantly on when stereo turned on as hdd has to spin up and seak.

Youll find it hard a hu powering a hdd, what i did was hard wire a power converter into the back of the cig ligher and set it to 5v

So the power converter supplies constant 5v to the hdd circuit board, then its connected to usb. Works all day long and tbh is great.

I run a hitachi 120GB

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    How much music do you have? You can get 32Gb USB pens now, plenty of storage space IMO.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Theres about 30GB free space.

Thing is, hdd all hidden but avail for quick removal and stealthy plus i use a pioneer unit no cd slot so looks nice and fancy

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    could you not use a 2.5" hdd and let the unit power it through the usb.

A usb stick is a good idea but i was thinking of running out the back, dont think they'll be room for a stick behind my console.

how hard is it to fit the 5v power converter?

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If you can fit a hard drive in, i'm sure you could fit a USB stick

Would also be a lot easier to take out the car and add extra music onto it. Just have the stick in the glovebox, ashtray, spare din slot etc.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    If you can fit a hard drive in, i'm sure you could fit a USB stick

Would also be a lot easier to take out the car and add extra music onto it. Just have the stick in the glovebox, ashtray, spare din slot etc.
    Well these USB 2.5" drives are powered via USB, but most HU's struggle to give out enough voltage to power the USB drives correctly.

I was tempted to get a 100GB seagate for £30 off eBay for when I upgrade my HU, but I think I'll just stick to my 16GB iPhone 3G now.
    Arden Blue Astra VXR

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Check the power output of the head unit USB connector and then check the requirements of the newer 2.5" drives. If money is no object then the new solid state 2.5" drives may well be a superb option.

Just be aware that extending a USB cable often means you'll need to add some power somewhere as the current doesn't carry far, especially on the lower power outputs of the head units.

My Kenwood accepts USB and I've got a 2GB USB Pen in the car at the moment. Can't fault it, though the more tracks/folders you have the longer the seek time while the HU catalogues the pen for music before you can play. You can get 4GByte pens for under £5 nowadays, probably £10 or so for an 8GByte pen which is a serious amount of music - my 2GB pen (with 192kbps wma/mp3) easily holds 10-15 albums at any one time.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Check the power output of the head unit USB connector and then check the requirements of the newer 2.5" drives. If money is no object then the new solid state 2.5" drives may well be a superb option.

Just be aware that extending a USB cable often means you'll need to add some power somewhere as the current doesn't carry far, especially on the lower power outputs of the head units.

My Kenwood accepts USB and I've got a 2GB USB Pen in the car at the moment. Can't fault it, though the more tracks/folders you have the longer the seek time while the HU catalogues the pen for music before you can play. You can get 4GByte pens for under £5 nowadays, probably £10 or so for an 8GByte pen which is a serious amount of music - my 2GB pen (with 192kbps wma/mp3) easily holds 10-15 albums at any one time.
    I would want to be gready and get 64GB as I have ~45GB of music
    Arden Blue Astra VXR

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Pah...8GBytes on our NAS, but we've only done about 5% of our CD collection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast