Thread: ice formed during washing

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ice formed during washing

I was washed my car as it was building up much of the salt and grime on the roads this past month. It was my 2nd time washing it after i got the ca in oct. I previously owned an older car but only washed it using cheap car wash&wax shampoo and only used a soft brush all over.

I used the 2 bucket method (having read threads on here and cleanyourcar) and meguiars gold class shampoo and a wash mitt and brush (for the wheels). I have got a small microfibre drying cloth as well. I had finished washing the upper parts with shampoo and had nearly the lower parts finished around 4pm; the next thing i noticed was ice forming on the roof.

I was raging as i hadnt given it a final rinse off with water from the hose. I got the hose and gave it a rinse off. i could notice ice getting moved off the roof surface. I wasnt sure whether or not to pat it dry using my cloth as it formed ice-like patterns on the roof after i dried it, but i continued anyhow. But looking at it now it has formed patted patterns on the roof from where i have patted it dry (maybe this suggests the surface is now in need of polish or wax?).

Can anyone tell me if i would have damaged the paintwork surface, allowing ice to form and then washing it off and, also should i not have patted the surface dry?

Also, as i am a novice at properly keeping a car clean, what should I do the next time with my car after washing and drying it? I have never polished or waxed a car before. It is a blue astra. I have been reading the threads on here and also cleanyourcar gave a good description on how to properly wash and dry but im now ready to attempt the next stages and i would like to keep my car looking decent.

cheers

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It shouldn't have really done any damage to the paint mate. If you're worried about ice forming again, use warm water.

After washing the car, clay it then wash again and dry. This will give you a perfectly clean surface to apply your polish to. I'd recommend a paint cleaner like Dodo Juice Lime Prime, and follow it with a good hard paste wax to give it a good level of protection.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazTD View Post
    It shouldn't have really done any damage to the paint mate. If you're worried about ice forming again, use warm water.

After washing the car, clay it then wash again and dry. This will give you a perfectly clean surface to apply your polish to. I'd recommend a paint cleaner like Dodo Juice Lime Prime, and follow it with a good hard paste wax to give it a good level of protection.

Gaz, i was wondering if id need to apply one of the polishes below, after applying the Dodo Juice Lime Prime, or does it also cover the polishing stage? before applying ones of the waxes below

thanks

(Ive pasted the section below from the What Products to use with what colour Astra/Zafira thread)

Polish & Last Stage Product (LSP)
    Blue
    Polish - Chemical Guys Ez-Creme Glaze, P21s Gloss Enhancing Paint Cleanser, Sonus SFX-3 Finishing Polish
    LSP - Chemical Guys Jetseal 109, Chemical Guys 50/50 Concourse Wax, P21s, Dodo Juice Blue Velvet

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    any of those products do the same/similar thing.

i have never used lime prime so cannot comment on how it will work on blue (yet). look at my threads in this section and there are pics of the finish achieved with the above products.
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Personally, I prefer to use just a paint cleaner such as Lime Prime (although my fave is HD Cleanse) and just follow it with your LSP.

That list was written by Ben and I just as a rough guide and intro to products. There are still some products that we're yet to use on some colours. I have a deep blue fiesta to do in a couple of weeks (provided I get the FC+ and ultrafina in time). Once that's done, if there's something I've used on it that has worked particularly well, then I'll add it to the list
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    be nice to see the reults gaz
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Personally, I prefer to use just a paint cleaner such as Lime Prime (although my fave is HD Cleanse) and just follow it with your LSP.

ok thanks gaz, thats what i was thinking of. i will have to order up some of these products and the accessories soon, and try this out.

cheers guys

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertone ben View Post
    be nice to see the reults gaz
    you will mate, it's Steph's, Ryan87's girlfriend. I'll only be taking before and afters though, maybe some 50/50's, but I'm sure Steph will take some WIP shots.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinstone View Post
    ok thanks gaz, thats what i was thinking of. i will have to order up some of these products and the accessories soon, and try this out.

cheers guys
    no worries mate, be sure to show us the results of your hard work.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you will mate, it's Steph's, Ryan87's girlfriend. I'll only be taking before and afters though, maybe some 50/50's, but I'm sure Steph will take some WIP shots.

i look forward to the pics