Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Car Alarm Doing My Head In Tonight...Need Help

GRR, as above..

just this past few minutes, my alarm on my coupe turbo keeps going off..Its standard factory alarm and for some reason it keeps going off and wont shut up..
    here is the scenario.
    jumped out of bed thinking someone broken into my car, however car seemed fine. I locked and alarmed it, then as i walked to my house door it went off again. I went back to shut it off, and only locked it this time without arming it, yet when i got back in the house, it went off again. I just had to go outside and leave the car unlock, now its kept quiet.
    we removed the sounder from alarm on saturday and reconnected back etc, however this only just started happening now..alarm been fine up till now no probs, only just started happening

any ideas what the prob could be as I am worried about parking my car where I do when I have work and having to leave it unlocked. that would be suicidal.
    Sapphire Black VxR Black Theme with a Touch of White, 3" Scorpion System, DapR springs, Rarb, JBI Tophat, FMIC & CDTI Conversion, Iridium Plugs, Full SMD in White...

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    You say your removed the sounder but connected it up again? Was it a new one?

Try arming it with the interior protection turned off which also turns off the tilt sensor (press the 2 map light buttons with the ignition off)

Otherwise you can wind the window down, close the door with the engine running and remove the keys through the open window locking the door with the key and holding the key in the lock poction to close the window
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    As a quick fix if you need it to stop the alarm going off altogether you can always try this:
    Stop engine, unlock passenger door, get out and shut driver door, climb in through passenger door and push lock down on drivers door, ensue passenger door lock is down and shut passenger door.

Won't fix your alarm issues but will certainly help with stopping it going off until you get it sorted.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosparks View Post
    You say your removed the sounder but connected it up again? Was it a new one?

Try arming it with the interior protection turned off which also turns off the tilt sensor (press the 2 map light buttons with the ignition off)

Otherwise you can wind the window down, close the door with the engine running and remove the keys through the open window locking the door with the key and holding the key in the lock poction to close the window

well i didnt remove it myself personally, but my mate did. We did some work on the car on the weekend, put on coilovers, change gearbox oil, shortshift etc, but we did not know how to stop alarm going off when removed the battery to do the gearbox oil. He got a vectra gsi v6, and he removed the sounder on his the same, and just put it back, it was fine then. So we did that on saturday, car was locked saturday night fine, and only started going off last night after it was raining for a while. I must have drove the car bout 4 times between sat night and lastnight locking it arming it etc, and it was fine...so i find it strange now.
    I didnt know that standard alarm has tilt sensor etc. The sounder was removed for like 2 hours, but I cant get my mind around it how that can do much arm.
    question. the standard alarm? how many sensor points it have? and where are they.

Quote Originally Posted by StevesAstra View Post
    As a quick fix if you need it to stop the alarm going off altogether you can always try this:
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesAstra View Post
    Stop engine, unlock passenger door, get out and shut driver door, climb in through passenger door and push lock down on drivers door, ensue passenger door lock is down and shut passenger door.

Won't fix your alarm issues but will certainly help with stopping it going off until you get it sorted.

car suppose to be going into vauxhall on thursday, my local one...they doing tracking and camber for me...im scared to ask them to look at alarm, they prob come back with sumthing stupid, but might just have to ask them.
    Sapphire Black VxR Black Theme with a Touch of White, 3" Scorpion System, DapR springs, Rarb, JBI Tophat, FMIC & CDTI Conversion, Iridium Plugs, Full SMD in White...

Status
    The Invisible Woman
    Drives
    Zafira
    Mentioned in
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    It could be someone setting it off, hoping you will switch off the alarm.

Thats what happened with our Cavalier. The alarm kept going off so Tangy switched off the alarm and it got nicked.
    Why not sign up and join us.
    Become a member today

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like a faulty power sounder to me, if i understand what your saying, when you disconnected the power sounder, it just went off?

As in you didn't dissable it first?

Chances are the batteries are dead, they aren't great anyway but if you let them get so flat when they are so old, they don't tend to charge properlly anyway and will probably attempt to charge and end up leaking, possibly one or more cells is no good in the pack.

Easy fix i would say is to get a new, or if you are so mindfull, open the original and replace the batteries. Of course you could see if this is indeed the problem first by removing the power sounder alone and seeing if this fixes the issue.

Having said this, may not be the problem at all, but its deffinatly the first thing i would be looking at.

EDIT: Just got me thinking, may not be the power sounder as such, but still possible as you said it didn't go off while left unlocked. I then thought about you saying you swapped the suspension, just got me thinking of a tilt sensor etc could have been damaged at the time you swapped the suspension or something, might be worth having a quick look at those.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    The alarm has sensors through the orgional pin switches for all doors/ boot bonnet. It then has the sensors in the interior light and a tilt sensor built into the control unit. It also has battery back up protection so when the battery is disconected the siren still goes off (which you know about)

To disconect the battery for future reference loosen the battery negative terminal, switch the ignition on then switch it off and remove the battery terminal within 10 or 20 seconds
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano2k0 View Post
    Sounds like a faulty power sounder to me, if i understand what your saying, when you disconnected the power sounder, it just went off?

As in you didn't dissable it first?

Chances are the batteries are dead, they aren't great anyway but if you let them get so flat when they are so old, they don't tend to charge properlly anyway and will probably attempt to charge and end up leaking, possibly one or more cells is no good in the pack.

Easy fix i would say is to get a new, or if you are so mindfull, open the original and replace the batteries. Of course you could see if this is indeed the problem first by removing the power sounder alone and seeing if this fixes the issue.

Having said this, may not be the problem at all, but its deffinatly the first thing i would be looking at.

EDIT: Just got me thinking, may not be the power sounder as such, but still possible as you said it didn't go off while left unlocked. I then thought about you saying you swapped the suspension, just got me thinking of a tilt sensor etc could have been damaged at the time you swapped the suspension or something, might be worth having a quick look at those.
    power sounder didnt go off when i disconnected it, was fine...put it all back together...drove home, armed and lock car overnight on sunday night, car was fine...woke up monday, took it out for a spin as trying to get my tracking and camber booked in to be donem, came home, locked and arm car it was fine. went back out to somerfield, then home at night, lock arm car...after few hours, started raining etc...alarm then decides to act up lol...
    however, i just remembered during the day when all that took place, i gave my next door neighbour a jump start...he tried opening bonnet and was doing it wrong, so i told him off and did it myself...the sensor on the bonnet, where is it located?

The alarm has sensors through the orgional pin switches for all doors/ boot bonnet. It then has the sensors in the interior light and a tilt sensor built into the control unit. It also has battery back up protection so when the battery is disconected the siren still goes off (which you know about)

To disconect the battery for future reference loosen the battery negative terminal, switch the ignition on then switch it off and remove the battery terminal within 10 or 20 seconds
    kool mate, i now know how to do it lol...
    my local vauxhall doing the camber and tracking for me on thursday, just spoke to the engineer there, nice chap, he said he dont think its a major problem with the alarm, he will have a look at it...see above of the events which lead up to the alarm prob, and let me know...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    update...had to get a new power sounder fitted lol...alarm seems to be fine now