Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: MK4 Fog bulbs

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    306chris's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    336
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    MK4 Fog bulbs

    Are they easy enough to replace with the car on the ground?

    Also does the irmscher splitter make the job harder>?

    Just want to get rid of the yellowness!

  2. #2
    kr00zin_uk
    kr00zin_uk's Avatar
    I don't know about with the irmscher splitter, but yes fog lights are very easy to change on the Mk 4 Astra...

    If you lie down in front of the car and look under the engine compartment, you should be able to see a protective rubber cover on the bottom of the fog light housing. Just pull it down and it should come away from the fog light (there are no clips), it is held on by friction/pressure. You should now be able to see the bulb which is held in place with a spring clip. It's pretty straight forward to work out how to release the bulb when you look at it. Just fit the new bulb the same way as the old one and make sure it is held in correctly by the clips and that the wires are not catching on anything, then replace the rubber cover and your done!

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    Andy_888's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,465
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I jacked front corner of the 888 up to do it just to make life easier
    888 Coupe - The original and best!
    For sale - 1x Kidney, Slightly abused by alcohol
    £45,000 or Part Ex for VXR8 Bathurst-S

  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    306chris's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    336
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers I'll order a decent set now then!

  5. #5
    kr00zin_uk
    kr00zin_uk's Avatar
    No worries...

    Also if you do intend to jack it up, make sure you use axel stands or car ramps.

    Whatever you do, please don't stick your head under the car using only your spare wheel jack. If the car moves off and your head is bigger than the gap... Well, you get the idea...

    I easily managed to do it on my standard lowered SXi with standard front splitter, so you should be fine!

    Let us know how you get on, with some piccies of your shinny new bulbs...

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    dave_coupe's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,497
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    sorry to Hijack but anyone recommend any bulbs that can take the yellow tint off the fogs to go with 6K Hids!

    (No im not one off these peole who drive around with fogs on all the time, but it just annoys me that they are so much different to the Lights when i do have to use them)
    THE STATEMENTS MADE ABOVE ARE MERELY MY OPINION AND SHOULD NOT BE INTERPRETED AS STATEMENTS OF FACT UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED

  7. #7
    Status
    Offline
    SteveMK4's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,106
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_coupe View Post
    sorry to Hijack but anyone recommend any bulbs that can take the yellow tint off the fogs to go with 6K Hids!

    (No im not one off these peole who drive around with fogs on all the time, but it just annoys me that they are so much different to the Lights when i do have to use them)
    Wondering the same thing..
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe turbo
    lag is a thing which warns me get ready for action.

  8. #8
    kr00zin_uk
    kr00zin_uk's Avatar
    Well I replaced the standard bulbs with blue tint xenon's and the fog lights still have a yellow tint!

    I can only assume that the glass provides the colour as yellow is the optimum tint for visibility in rain/fog (that's why they use them on rally cars). And fog lights are "normally" only when the weather is bad and visibility is reduced.

  9. #9
    Status
    Offline
    306chris's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    336
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr00zin_uk View Post
    No worries...

    Also if you do intend to jack it up, make sure you use axel stands or car ramps.

    Whatever you do, please don't stick your head under the car using only your spare wheel jack. If the car moves off and your head is bigger than the gap... Well, you get the idea...

    I easily managed to do it on my standard lowered SXi with standard front splitter, so you should be fine!

    Let us know how you get on, with some piccies of your shinny new bulbs...

    Thanks mate! I'm not mental enough to risk crushing my head! I shall stick one side up on the kerb at a time!

    Guys I'm going for these which are the same as my headlamp bulbs:

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...%3DI%26otn%3D2

  10. #10
    Status
    Offline
    SteveMK4's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,106
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 306chris View Post
    Thanks mate! I'm not mental enough to risk crushing my head! I shall stick one side up on the kerb at a time!

    Guys I'm going for these which are the same as my headlamp bulbs:

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...%3DI%26otn%3D2
    Are they blue though?

    It says "white with a strong blue"
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe turbo
    lag is a thing which warns me get ready for action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. LED bulbs vs energy saving bulbs (house, not car!)
    By Kev. in forum Chit Chat and a Warm Welcome!
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 16-12-2013, 21:59
  2. There are HID bulbs & there are HID bulbs
    By john z in forum Astra Discussion & Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-03-2012, 18:58
  3. bulbs
    By settaz in forum Electrical
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-02-2012, 12:56
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2008, 13:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •