Thread: Idle Problem and Light Come on

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Idle Problem and Light Come on

My 2002 Sri has a light that comes on(its a car with a spanner on it) whilst driving.It goes off after its restarted but then returns again after so long.
    Ive noticed aswell that on idle it will rev up and down on its own.Also it can be hesitant/jerky at low revs when acclerating sometimes.Are these problems linked? and will it be expensive to fix? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi.
    Sounds like your idle control valve needs cleaning/replacing. There is a how-to guide on cleaning it and whilst your under the bonnet clean the egr and the throttle body to, its in the guide aswell.

When was it last serviced.

Have you had the ecu codes read at all if so what are they?. There is 2 ways to do it yourself paperclip and pedal test, someone will fill that bit in shortly on how to do that

hope this helps
    2000, 1.6 8v, 148k miles-156k now 160k and not far off dyeing. Oh and still growing. -There may be spelling mistakes in my posts but at least you still understand it

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No the car hasnt been plugged in yet.How much does it cost?
    Dont think its had a service for a while.Its done 83000miles.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can do a self check i will try and find the 2 options to do this or some1 will post how to do it. saves you from 40-60 quid hook up just to tell you any codes. would be best to either do a self service eg fuel, oil, air filters, oil change etc or get a garage to do one. try the cleaning of the tb etc to see how it drives its all in the how-to link.
    2000, 1.6 8v, 148k miles-156k now 160k and not far off dyeing. Oh and still growing. -There may be spelling mistakes in my posts but at least you still understand it

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Here is the pedal test, take a look and give a try and post results.
    >2000 year
    put feet on accelerator and brake with keys out of ignition turn it til all the lights on with both feet still on both pedals, wait for a few seconds and count the flashes (10 flashes = 0)
    there will be a pause between each set of numbers
    it only works on Z series engines - (info by Geordiebandit)

Hope this helps

(if i am wrong then some1 will point the correct way but im positive on this one i hope)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Boyfriend tried this and nothing flashed...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmmmm did you try it whislt the eml was on? (light with spanner) altho it should record any codes that is brought up on the ecu itself?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I put the pedals down,then turned the key till the dash lit up and waited-the lights just all stayed on,nothing flashed

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmmm give geordiebandit a pm or you can wait till someone reads the thread and puts their opinion on it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    bugger

a few times ive tried this and nowt has come up like u say

theres a few things u can do - unfortunately they will cost tho

the cheapest would be to grab ur self a code reader off ebay

here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/U380-OBD-2-II-EOBD-OBD2-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-UK_W0QQitemZ370122428391QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diag nostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item370122428391&_trks id=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12 |39%3A1|240%3A1318

this should come up with the fault

Now is it the 1.8 or 2.2 u have?

im assuming 1.8

You will need to clean the throttle body - its better if u can remove it from the car and give it an intensive cleaning away from the car - u will need a tin of carb cleaner ( about £4 from a local car shop) spray liberally and grab a clean cloth and clean it till its nice n shiney again - pay partilcular attention to the butterfly flap and around it

now unfortunately on engines after 2000 the idle was controlled by the ECU and not an independeted idle control valve so the best u can do is clean the TB and take it from there. The 1.8 also does not have an EGR valve which is a common problem on Vauxhalls so ur one step ahead in this respect.

It could also be the AFM (air flow meter) as this can be another troublesome part - but until we know what code is stored its pointless replacing components willy nilly

Now if u dont want to get a code reader above - why not post in the Yorkies section and see if anyone local has one u can borrow.

Ive got one but im a fair distance away and even posting it would be a fair bit - i seriously recommend these devices to anyone (if u might wanna use it on other cars - in particular Vauxhalls from 2004+ then u will need another model but the one above will work on yours no worries)

Let me know if u need a hand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast