Thread: A few glitches

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A few glitches

ive just bought an astra 1999 1.6 sport 2 weeks ago now that ive driven the car a few miles ive started noticing some lil glitches, i dont have an owners manual so kinda stuck

1... The window wipers click one doesnt work only fast n faster work.. also when i turn the wipers of they will stop dead on the windscreen rather than drop to the bottom of the windscreen.

2... Every now and then on the bottom right hand corner of the dash i see a little green light flicker, its so fast n so rare its somethin i see at the corner of my eye so cant even describe or see it properly.

3... Sometimes when pushin the car a little i get wiffs of exhaust fumes inside the car this also happens when im not pushing the car and driving normally. its not constant buit is annoying.

this is my 1st vauxhall so any help with the above matters would be greatly appreciated

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Welcome mate

I can answer a couple of question for you and hpefully point you in the direction of a owners manual that you can download. These will be in the MK4 info part of the forum

Anyway firstly if the intermitiant wipe doesn;t work in the fact it goes part way and stops then never parks on any other speed also it points towards a faulty wiper motor. Unfortunatly this is common on the cars but if you search the forums someone wront on how to take it apart and clean it if your mechanically minded

Secondly the only little green light I can think of is the trailor light. I get this too all the time because of my front indicator bulbs and the fact they draw more amps than normal, really nothing to worry about
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosparks View Post
    Welcome mate

I can answer a couple of question for you and hpefully point you in the direction of a owners manual that you can download. These will be in the MK4 info part of the forum

Anyway firstly if the intermitiant wipe doesn;t work in the fact it goes part way and stops then never parks on any other speed also it points towards a faulty wiper motor. Unfortunatly this is common on the cars but if you search the forums someone wront on how to take it apart and clean it if your mechanically minded

Secondly the only little green light I can think of is the trailor light. I get this too all the time because of my front indicator bulbs and the fact they draw more amps than normal, really nothing to worry about

sweet thanks for the reply

ill look further through the forums for more info on the car itself and owners manual ive seen a few things written already that would help me a little..

the window wipers part, the slow speed dont work at all its only fast n faster but yea when i turn them off completely they will just stop were ever they are, so gotta get the timing right to get them down low so i can see half way in front of me lol, but ill def look out for the tutorial someones posted.

im clueless on this green light i see, ive glimpsed at i when not using ne indicators lights or nething i can think of from the top of my head (possibly the wipers due to the shitty weather lately and splashes from the road)

there is a couple more things tho i have read else were in the forum that sorta helped but sort of different from mine..

the airbag light constantly on i had this b4 on my st24 (happened when i was racing a m8 n had to brake sharply) i stretched the tensioners on the belt fasteners . cant be assed to pay £70 for someone to plug a tool in and tel me that again, think its that? or what was wrote somewere in the forum that he airbag or steering wheel was changed with the keys in the ignition (i wouldnt know the difference since im a noob to vuaxhall)

i think it is the engine management system light looks like a tap with a lightning bolt in the middle? (read this somewre here) i only seen it today popped on for a few miles then off again.. this is supposed to be another common problem ? but it must pop on for a reason surely ? never had ne splutters or anything from the engine just the light showing .

any ideas on the fumes inside the car ? i did notice a few recent receipts for emission checks on it so im guessing this has been an ongoing problem was thinking a full service maybe the air conditioning is just shitty but still to be smelling fumes inside a car and not at the end of the exhaust seems a lil iffy

sry for the 600 word question air but if ye never ask ye will never learn.. thanks for yer time

sry bout the quote but was only way i cpould post lol

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Firstly I can't answer about the fumes, electrics is my game

With the wipers not working at all on intermitiant it could be a relay at fault. This relay is the far right one of the middle row in the fuse box under the dash

If the airbag light is on it needs to be reset by someone with the right equipment, there's many reason why it could come on

There are a couple of different engine managment lights on the Astra G, you can do the "paper clip" test to find any fault codes on the ECU. Again a search will show how to do that
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason