Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

nearly had an accident today :-(

Nearly had an accident today never been so scared in my life! L

Probably was going abit too fast for the conditions but as I pulled into my work car park it looked clear, as I was pulling upto park though, I started sliding on some sludge, slammed on brakes (I need abs!!) turned wheel as far left as I could to avoid a parked car, but was surprised that turning the wheel and braking didnít even slow the car or turn it in the slightest! Then iím stuck in this position of seeing this car getting closer and closer knowing thereís nothing I can do, just waiting to hit it, really is a terrible feeling!! Luckily somehow I stopped about 3ft away from its bumper, never been that scared though, in 2 years of driving never had an accident or even a speeding ticket!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah that happed to me , i think its the fact theres nought you can do really no abs no control .. just sit and hope .. i know alot of ice related storys that end worst !!!
    DaveMark

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i know it's the worse feeling ever when you have no control at all, and it's just a case of sitting there and waiting for it to happen, it's just id spent the past hour crawling along on snow, and i got into my work car park which is a big open space that had appeared to have been gritted, and guess i just let myself go feeling i was finally on decent ground lol.

would ABS definatly make a massive difference even on Ice and snow then? i mean surely there's not much you can do to prevent the wheels skidding on ice?

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can't see how ABS would have helped in this situation at all.

Opposite lock and floor it ftw

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i dont know about everyone else ABS and traction control helps a bit but the poor system is really crazy it was on like all the time when i drove in the snow ...(traction control) and abs when stopping it probbley would have let you turned a bit but then you got to watch out for the back end lol
    DaveMark

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I dont think ABS would of helped what so ever,

I pulled into the car park this morning at work and we have a rigth turn on a hill, So i turned right down this hill braking and just carried on going forward. Nearly hit the wall i was inches away...

Along came someone "flash" in his mercedex AMG wizzing around the corner and smack! he went into the wall just avoiding a parked Fiat punto!

I have ABS it kicked in but didnt help the situation... if your on ice.. nothing is going to drop the momentum

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    James bond style spiked tyres ROFL
    DaveMark

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol horrible feeling though isnt it...just sitting there knowing you have no control at all just waiting for the impact, still i've learnt a valuable lesson about being more careful now!

i still miss ABS though, this my first car of my own, had my astra for about a year now, before that i always drove my dads company cars everywhere, a mondeo and then an audi, never thought id actually miss abs, until you realise how good it is, when someone slams on infront of you and you get put in the position of just hoping for the best when you instinctively slam on yourself, horrible feeling.

anyone got any driving tips for slowing down in this situation in other places eg motorway etc?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know the feeling, Lucky for you you stopped

I didnt http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=173070

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)