Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: n00b alert, wondering about Astra G 1.8's for a cheap motor...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

n00b alert, wondering about Astra G 1.8's for a cheap motor...

Hi guys, I'm new here really. Currently drive a Corsa 1.6 Sport, subtle mods etc but getting a bit old for it now (27) so looking for something more grown up. Clearing some debts at the moment so majority of spends would have to come from the sale of my car.

Been looking @ 3 door Astra G's, 1.8's mainly... more about, decent balance of performance and economy I'm told.

But, I'd probably be looking at earlier 1.8's, I believe theres 2 engine types. One being less powerful.

I know nothing about them, so can anyone enlighten me what the differences are, if either engine is more reliable than the other, economy, performance etc and if strictly speaking I should avoid the earlier 1.8 engine for any reason?

Clearly I'd not like to go slower than I already am lol... about 110BHP in a 1050ish KG motor. But if I can get a bit more power from the earlier 1.8 with simple breathing mods if it's a decent engine then bonus.

Cheers folks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Earlier 1.8 is engine code (X18 XE1)

Later 1.8 is engine code (Z18 XE)

The older ones has a cable throttle were as the later one is drive by wire (electronic)
    Earlier - 113 BHP
    Later - 123 BHP

Few other differences the Z18 XE has a Cat built on the Manifold were are the X18XE1 has it further down

HTH

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have an earlier 1.8 g with the x18xe1 engine putting out 113bhp as standard and i find its copes pretty well even with a full car. From what i have read there isnt much performance wise between the older and newer 1.8s, its 10bhp on paper but in the real world it isn't much apparently, the older engine has the benefit of having cheaper tax and cheaper insurance but ive found fuel consumption on mine is pretty bad, about 28mpg although all my traveling is short journeys usually 30mph and a lot of start stopping. Ive owned the car for 2 years and the only major problem i have had was the ECU going but it only cost me £250 to sort out, all other problems were just general wear and tear.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Cheers for the reply guys

Are they much the same engine then? Or a complete re-design?

Can much be done to the earlier engine to get more poke on the cheap? And more importantly, are they reliable?

I tend to do 80% town driving also, getting 30/31mpg from the Corsa without too heavy a right foot.

Have to say my Corsa has been impeccable and is thus making me trust an Astra over a similarly priced Focus lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive done the usual mods to mine, cat back exhaust, k&n air filter, de-restrict air box and vectra c inlet but i haven't had it on a rolling road but from reading about from cars with similar mods its ranged fro putting out the same as standard or anything up to about 130bhp with the same mods as me. My car is driven every day, starts first time every time and as said only problem i have had was the ecu, mine is a 1998 1.8 sport with 90k on the clock.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Sounds quite good going then, 130BHP would be fine with me and the lack of pre-cat would be a bonus. Your mods are as per my Corsa so I'd be fine with stuff like that, don't know much about the Vectra inlet mod though, cheap and easy I assume?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dave View Post
    Sounds quite good going then, 130BHP would be fine with me and the lack of pre-cat would be a bonus. Your mods are as per my Corsa so I'd be fine with stuff like that, don't know much about the Vectra inlet mod though, cheap and easy I assume?
    Yeah, the vectra mod is only about £15 and the de-restrict is free, k&n filter is about £40 then i paid about £150 for the cat back exhaust 2nd hand (irmchser/remus), dont get your hopes set on 130bhp as cars vary so it might not be as much as that but its still a pretty quick car also gonna be a lot safer than your corsa if something goes wrong.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you not interested in a 1.6 16v astra g (2001) running 120 bhp. got it on sale on this site under (shep6413 astra)
    FULLY QUALIFIED JIB ELECTRICIAN AND TILER
    PM ME IF YA NEED ME

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Zafira GSi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up

Iv got a 1998 1.8 16v Sport & it goes very well & very ecinomical!!
    Its got 112k on the clock & its used every day,starts 1st every time?
    No probs what so ever.Iv got Stainless cat-back duplex custom system, Straight through de-cat pipe,airbox mod & looking 4 a K&N pannel & Vecci C pipe.Gonna be getting a 4 branch manifold after xmas & hope to be putting out around 130-135 bhp (please note,i say HOPE!!).
    With mods i have now i am able 2 keep up wiyh Saxo VTS's.

I would reccomend 1 to any1,my best m8 took my advice & bought 1 last week & he LOVES it!!!

Also the older engines have more torque than newer engine so evens out the performance.
    . ..SRiTaff ...
    LIKE: ZletCruisers on Facebook.
    Drives: Arden Blue Zafira GSi.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRiTaff View Post
    Iv got a 1998 1.8 16v Sport & it goes very well & very ecinomical!!
    Its got 112k on the clock & its used every day,starts 1st every time?
    No probs what so ever.Iv got Stainless cat-back duplex custom system, Straight through de-cat pipe,airbox mod & looking 4 a K&N pannel & Vecci C pipe.Gonna be getting a 4 branch manifold after xmas & hope to be putting out around 130-135 bhp (please note,i say HOPE!!).
    With mods i have now i am able 2 keep up wiyh Saxo VTS's.

I would reccomend 1 to any1,my best m8 took my advice & bought 1 last week & he LOVES it!!!

Also the older engines have more torque than newer engine so evens out the performance.
    I'm not being funny but i'd love to see how close a "sprint" it would be between a vts and your astra. My mate had a si corsa with same engine as yours with 4-1 manifold, all breathing mods etc same as yours and couldn't stay near one and that was with a car that weighs alot less than an astra.

Sure it wasn't a vtr?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast