Thread: Hot or Cold - When do you check your oil?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hot or Cold - When do you check your oil?

Hi,

I have read a number of posts now, on this board and others, with different information about when to check the oil.

I checked mine the other day and it was showing just above the min, so topped up a little. Looking at the Vauxhall Astra Handbook it states the engine should be at operating temp, switch off and wait 5 mins then take a reading. This is what I have been doing and the level has always been just under the max. I have since read on the internet though the reading should be taken when cold, so I did a cold check today, and its above the max.

Its having an oil change next week anyway so should be sorted with clean oil, I was just wondering what everyone else method of checking is.

**Update - I checked the oil when cold this morning and it was above the max. Used the car, waited 5-10mins as the handbook says, checked just on the max. Checked again approx 1hr later still at same point, just on the max. I have noticed though when the dipstick comes out looking at the top, ie facing the engine as it comes out, that level is spot on, the underside though is higher, or catches oil as its drawn out. I hope that makes sense. I assume looking at the side that comes out top first is the one to take the reading from**

Thanks

Stu

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as you've stated in the second part of your post, I go by the manual, heat the engine up, leave it for 5 - 10 minutes to allow the oil to drain back down to the sump and then check the level.