Thread: Temperature Problem

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Temperature Problem

Wright here goes my fiancé's astra Mk4 1.6 16v auto on a w reg has a puzzling problem, thing is it'll wont ever read the water system temp only time it reads is when you stop the engine and restart after a journey (78 degree's).

Changed the thermostat still same plugged in my scangauge 2 and during the journey it reads 68 degrees but will not go any higher this is really puzzling me and ideas please send them my way.

I thing that I was told is that false reading could be the ecu but with the scangauge it starts at ambient temp and creeps up to 68 degrees but when you stop the engine the temp then reads above this, but then starts coming back down when you set off again after a few miles???????

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    try replacing the coolant temp sensor as this supplies the ECU with temp info and the gauge..
    I take it the heater gets good and hot??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    had thermostat AND sensor replaced in my car & sort of sorted the problem. Sits just off 90 now, which will do for me. Garage said it's still not right & probably the guage, but it's pretty much right as far as i'm concerned

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    just off 90deg is fine when moving

just above when sitting in traffic

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry forgot to say i'd changed the temp sensor when i did the belts and water pump. The gauge being faulty was one of the ting I thought but after plugging in the scangauge it confirmed what the gauge was telling me? Still a real head scratcher. And then today ecu went into lip home mode after detecting a missfire there's got to be something under lying with this.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get the codes read and post up here for assistance

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

problems with thermstat astra 1.6 auto

Hi, like others i have a problem with the temp gauge in my car, it constantly reads at zero until i stop in traffic or just have the engine running then it raises to about the middle. I have waited to see if the fan cuts in when getting hot and it does, needle only goes up to 70ish, does not appear to overheat at all. All the blowers work fine and it gives off heat great. I have read all the issues and i understand that itdoes need changing when i do the cam belt next, i have read tht some people put cardboard in front of the rad to help out????? Can i ask what would happen if i just left it as it is, i have no issues with heat and the fan cuts in as it should and does not overheat at all, i just had all the coolant changed today with fresh anti freeze. i have noticed that the gauge moves up a little when the heater is not on but only a little. Sorry to waffle on but first question i have written