Thread: Drivers side rear brake disc/hub screetching

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Drivers side rear brake disc/hub screetching

As the title suggests, my rear drivers side disc was makeing a screetching noise while i was driving, naturaly when i brake it gets worse. Do i need a new brake pad or a new hub? I get the feeling something is seizing up back there, it has been raining

anyhelp would be grealty appricated
    Had a Astra SRI 2.0i 1999, now have a 1994 VW Golf GL 1.8, 460 bargin!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On ur model you'll probs have tho problematic bosch calipers which are prone to seizing. . . You could clean them and rebuild them for about 30 quid then fit new pads and discs if needed or replace the calipers. . . And upgrade to the better lucas design. . A pair of new calipers will come in at about a ton brand new.

You'll need to get the car in the air and check for signs of them catching etc

Can't go into detail as im using my phone for this

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    100 for new rear calipers, ouch! I spose i could pick some up on the cheap off ebay, But then theres fitting costs. God i hate this car, its just problem after ****ing problem. I cant actualy do anything fun to it, just repair the ****ing lump of shit...argh

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As well, my alloy wheel on the rear side drivers side is covered in brake dust, Just giving you more info geordie, so you deffintly think its the rear caliper seizing up, surely if i have bosch ones, then i can only replace with bosch, and not use a lucas one

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if u have bosch then by all means just replace the dodgy one if u so wish with an identical bosch unit (cant fit just 1 lucas as they use different pads - anyway that would be a bit of a bodge ) but seeing as they are a known weak point youd be best replacing with a brand new pair... actually if ur replacing both then u can still fit bosch ones but just brand new bosch ones.

Make sure u have bosch ones by lookin for 4 ridges running along the caliper body - lucas ones are smooth

you might be able to get away with just cleaning them - ideally remove them from the car, pop the pistons and replace all the seals
    caliper rebuild kits should cost about 30-40 quid (for 2 calipers)

dont take my word though that its defo the caliper - it may be something totally unrelated but the fact its covered in dust and im assuming the other side isnt - then its very likely to be a siezed piston.

the very least u can do is remove the calipers and clean all traces of dust and check operation of the pistons etc - but as i say id be rebuilding them or replacing them.

at least get the car in the air - leave the wheel on first with the handbrake off and see if theres any sign of catching etc - whip off the wheel and check the same again

its hard to advise what to do but u really need to give them a good clean and if that dont work then rebuild or replace.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im gonna have to take it into the garage in that case.
    Thanks for your help GB

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    may wanna look at this if it does turn out to be the caliper

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Astra-Zafira-1998-2004-Rear-Calipers-Discs_W0QQitemZ330290224647QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item33029022464 7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2| 65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Complete rear setup (Discs, Pads, Calipers, Brackets)

Everything to conver your tired Bosch setup for the later Lucas design.

Off a low mileage car

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How long does it take to change rear calipers/discs? This is obviously going to have to be a garage job. Its deffintly not sounding right back there. I do indeed have the troublesome bosch ones

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah ive got the bosch too....and with it being -2.5 here theyve frozen solid lol

if u have the full setup like the ebay link it would take me about an hour and ive never done it before - i should imagine a garage would do it in a similar time -may charge 2hrs labour though.

caliper off, handbrake cable off, discs off....refit

before flying in headfirst might be advisable to see if a garage or sum1 u know can have a look first - having said that the lucas calipers are so much better and if everything in that link above is as they say then its a steal.....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unfortuantly this couldent of come at a worse time, just bought springs for 65 and waiting for a 100 pound refund from some dodgy ebay lights. I assume this would be an MOT failure if it was due for one, due to the rear caliper sticking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast