Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Selling at advertised price?? Query....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Selling at advertised price?? Query....

Went into blockbuster today andwhilst looking roud they had a big silver basket/bin full of dvd players, the sign above it stated "DVD Player For only £20" however on the top of he dvd players was a Sony Blu Ray player (RRP £199) but it was in the basketbi with the sign stating only £20, looked on the box and it states blu ray/dvd player so tied to the signage. Went to the desk an saidrigh ill take the Blu ray player please been as its only £20, his response was simply "no you wont were selling them at £199", afer clearly stating it is been advertised in the basket as £20 i would not be paying £199 for it, i advised him that iems are to be sold at there advertised price

(As with tesco i picked up an item £5 cheaper due to the wrong ticket, No problem sir here you go)

still he refused point blank and said it was with the dvd players as that is what it is. I took some pictures showing its position in the basket with the sign and just wondered could i write to head office and/or(not sure if its trading standards) and demand it at the price advertised??

Any advice is muchly appreciated
    Cheers
    J

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    No they do not have to sell to you at the advertised price. It is known as an "invitation to treat". If you approach the cash desk with an item, you are offering to purchase the item at that price, it does not mean they have to accept.

Dependant upon the amount, places like Tesco will fulfill it as a gesture of goodwill in order to keep your custom.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    are you for real?

And we wonder why the country is in such a state.....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    are you for real?

Ye i am forreal, it was a simple question, they happily stickit in at £20 and then someone picks it up and they are then suddenly old its 10 times that amount nd thats supposed t be a good way of getting customers? Its exactly why i asked, if i could get it at £20 then all good if not no great loss simple question was they had it advertised at £20 when in actual fact i was not that price at all.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxy View Post
    No they do not have to sell to you at the advertised price. It is known as an "invitation to treat". If you approach the cash desk with an item, you are offering to purchase the item at that price, it does not mean they have to accept.

Dependant upon the amount, places like Tesco will fulfill it as a gesture of goodwill in order to keep your custom.

Thanks for that all i wantd to know
    Learn something new everyday i was alwas under the impression it was to be sold at the price advertised.

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CSI-3 View Post
    Ye i am forreal, it was a simple question, they happily stickit in at £20 and then someone picks it up and they are then suddenly old its 10 times that amount nd thats supposed t be a good way of getting customers? Its exactly why i asked, if i could get it at £20 then all good if not no great loss simple question was they had it advertised at £20 when in actual fact i was not that price at all.

It was probably a mistake. Nice try though.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    are you for real?

nice polite response...

is a popular view that shops have to sell items at the price advertised but as said above that is an "invitation to treat" and they can rightly refuse to sell anything to anyone, alot of companies will take the loss as a gesture of goodwill but they are not obliged to do so
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    are you for real?

Bit harsh there Martin, he was simply asking a question...

I think Minxy has hit the nail on the head...

However you could always ring your local trading standards place, that way you will have it from the horses mouth so to speak.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All it takes is a little common sense.

Can any business afford to sell these players at 20 notes? Answer will be no.

If we take this argument that 'if it's advertised as price A, we should pay price A' then I should be able to walk into any shop that sells electrical goods, specifically DVD players. I'll take the most expensive Sony DVD player I can find and put it on the shelf under the cheap 20 quid jobbies. I'll then take that to the counter and claim that it was advertised because it was under the 20 quid ticket.

Come on.

I'm all for a bargain but I don't take the piss. I expect to pay a fair amount for the product I'm purchasing.

Harsh my response may be in some eyes but I deal with these kind of situations very often and it's plain ridiculous.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willbaroo View Post
    Bit harsh there Martin, he was simply asking a question...

I think Minxy has hit the nail on the head...

However you could always ring your local trading standards place, that way you will have it from the horses mouth so to speak.

Might give them a bel but hearing how it "Actually is" (Thanks Minxy) dont think ill bother, as i said i always thought otherwise especially with other shops agreeing to the drop.. Not to worry didnt get a bargain but also didnt lose anything lol

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast