Thread: BMW 330CI Convertable

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

BMW 330CI Convertable

the advantage of now being over 25 means that i can drive the company cars on the company insurance so i took the BMW out the other day.

55plate 330ci convertable.
    M sport suspension
    Auto gear box

and i was a bit dissapointed to be honest. now i know its the convertable so it will have a bit extra weight and less rigidity but.

Performance:
    with having the auot box it wasn't going to set the world on fire but the kick down seemed to take ages to cut in.
    Once it did kick in i must admit the power deliver was incredably smooth the extra 2 cylinders made a massive difference and the gear change again was really smooth in fact you could hardly feel it changing gear.
    The rate of acceleartion was a bit slower than i expected although the smoothness of it did make it fell a little slower than it really was but for a car with 230BHP and around 230lb.ft of torque i was expecting faster.

Suspension and handling.
    Very soft for sports suspension. Infact my recommendation would be don't bother with the normal suspension as the sports suspension is very comfotable. I didn't feel a bump in the road.
    Handling was ok for a convertable but the car was very understeery and there was a masive amount of body roll. i had to hang on to the steering wheel.

Brakes:
    brakes again worked and were certainly better than that of the astra but nothing special.

Steering:
    Lacked a bit of feel.

Build Quality:
    excellent to be honest. the car had 40K miles on it and not a single rattle. the feel of everything was of a good quailty.

Overal verdict:
    a very comfortable motorway cruiser with reasonable performance but not the most exciting drive and a bit of a disappointment TBH. for a £30K+ i was expecting a lot more. this is the first BMW i have driven and would like to think that something like an M3 would be a lot better but for me i would save my money.
    I was driving it comparing it to my car which may not have been the best thing to do as they are hardly in the same class but i certainly wouldn't swap.

Don't get me wrong i'm saying they a very good car but to me it wasn't the 'ultimate driving machine' that i was expecting.

just thought a few of you may be interested

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The cab's suspension must be different to the saloon - I've driven a 320d with the M-Sport suspension on 18's, and it made an old leaf-sprung Land-Rover feel comfortable.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZS View Post
    The cab's suspension must be different to the saloon - I've driven a 320d with the M-Sport suspension on 18's, and it made an old leaf-sprung Land-Rover feel comfortable.
    well it felt very soft in comparison to both my cars.

the astra with -30mm ebiach's
    and the subaru with -40mm Prodrive springs.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A5TRA 59ORT View Post
    the advantage of now being over 25 means that i can drive the company cars on the company insurance so i took the BMW out the other day.

55plate 330ci convertable.
    M sport suspension
    Auto gear box

and i was a bit dissapointed to be honest. now i know its the convertable so it will have a bit extra weight and less rigidity but.

Performance:
    with having the auot box it wasn't going to set the world on fire but the kick down seemed to take ages to cut in.
    Once it did kick in i must admit the power deliver was incredably smooth the extra 2 cylinders made a massive difference and the gear change again was really smooth in fact you could hardly feel it changing gear.
    The rate of acceleartion was a bit slower than i expected although the smoothness of it did make it fell a little slower than it really was but for a car with 230BHP and around 230lb.ft of torque i was expecting faster.

Suspension and handling.
    Very soft for sports suspension. Infact my recommendation would be don't bother with the normal suspension as the sports suspension is very comfotable. I didn't feel a bump in the road.
    Handling was ok for a convertable but the car was very understeery and there was a masive amount of body roll. i had to hang on to the steering wheel.

Brakes:
    brakes again worked and were certainly better than that of the astra but nothing special.

Steering:
    Lacked a bit of feel.

Build Quality:
    excellent to be honest. the car had 40K miles on it and not a single rattle. the feel of everything was of a good quailty.

Overal verdict:
    a very comfortable motorway cruiser with reasonable performance but not the most exciting drive and a bit of a disappointment TBH. for a £30K+ i was expecting a lot more. this is the first BMW i have driven and would like to think that something like an M3 would be a lot better but for me i would save my money.
    I was driving it comparing it to my car which may not have been the best thing to do as they are hardly in the same class but i certainly wouldn't swap.

Don't get me wrong i'm saying they a very good car but to me it wasn't the 'ultimate driving machine' that i was expecting.

just thought a few of you may be interested
    The thing with BMWs is that they do everything so well(not perfect) that when you drive one they can become abit sterile, so you begin to wonder what's all the fuss about,

Take one on a Track day then see what you think, Brands Hatch runs BMW's.

Dave

Status
    AkA P_Man
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A vert with an auto box is gonna feel kinda slow. A manual coupe can still feel a little sluggish if caught out on revs. Once it's in the zone with the revs it flies though.
    Mine still manages to surprise me sometimes when I put my foot down.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Msport suspension on the number of coupe's I've driven (and owned) have been spot on, certainly on par with the eibach's on my old ACT anyway, and a much better ride. However, I've been a passenger in an E46 vert and it did have more bodyroll - slam some eibach's on it mate and it'll sort it right out...... which brings me to the point that you are comparing two cars that have been lowered with a standard suspension model.
    ShaanK. BMW E92 335i Msport and BMW E83 2.5i X3

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ahh i wish my suspension was as forgiving sometimes chris

overall i like the 330ci's mate, but i'd rather have your scoob
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A51M View Post
    overall i like the 330ci's mate, but i'd rather have your scoob
    with limo tints of course
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    maybe you were expecting the car to be something its not?
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Guys on blackberry so can't quote:

Shaank, I was told the car was an m sport with the lowered suspension but it wasn't on a par with the eibach's on the astra! I agree that ilm comparing standard suspension with after market kit but most manufactures have a sports suspension option! Unless an m sport doesn't always mean sports springs!

Asim, i've got limo tints on the rear window

Mat, I agree I was expecting an exciting drive! Perhaps based on the hype of the ultimate driving machine and I was comparing it directly to the subaru. mainly because I sore it as a performance car! The two really are chalk and cheese! The Subaru is faster, better handling although not standard spring the quick rack makes a massive difference! And the brembo's really do work!

The BMW is a lot more comfortable! Much quieter and a lot smoother!

I guess. The BMW is a very good compromise between performance and comfort.

The Subaru is performance first and to hell with comfort! At the end of the day, personal choice but I prefer performance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast