Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

power steering on my cab

hey all just want to check something quickly

my old 2.2 astra coupe the power stearing was about the same feel no mattter what speed .. maybe a little stiffer when slower speeds but nothing majour .about what you would exspect..

how ever with my new turbo cab, at speed its much looser than the 2.2 coupe quite a nice feel can throw around into corners etc, how ever at low speeds (manovers) its allmost like its non existant .. very very stiff but is ok again when get up to speed ...

just wondering how come they are so diffrent ?? ... and if its normal

views?

Dave
    DaveMark

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Change the oil in the power steering ... it makes a huge difference ... at least on my car
    The only way to be 100% certain that work has been done properly is to do it yourself.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok will give that a go, if that dont help is it more likely be the pump .. how much would that be approx ?

Dave
    DaveMark

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A friends pump was not working and I checked at local GM dealer ... price was around 600 quid with exchange old for new!
    We managed to repair it as it turned out bad connections in the pumps ECU. But his wasn't working at all. Yours is but not very good. If oil doesn't help my guess is mechanical problem in the pump part ... not the ECU and motor.
    The only way to be 100% certain that work has been done properly is to do it yourself.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah it works fine when moving but any kinda of manover and its like its really struggleing ... could it be my altantor i red somewhere could be that

DAVE
    DaveMark

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anymore input on this ???

also sorry for dumb question but how would change my PAS oil .. where would i drain it from.. any tips on doing this , somthing i never done

Dave
    DaveMark

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do you know where is the pump located? The filling tank is just above it, in fact they are one unit (tank + pump)... So coming from the tank is a rubber pipe. you need to take it off the tank, and be careful the remaining oil in the tank is going to pour out of it! Next thing is putting the pipe in a bottle or somthin to take the oil, and you get in the car and start turnin the steering wheel(engine OFF) to the end left, then end right sides until all the oil is in the bottle .... reconnect the pipe (you might need a new clamp) and fill the tank with oil ... then you're off to turnin the steering wheel(still engine off) lefto right and vice versa ... don't forget to top up the oil after a few left-right turns.
    When the oil level stops droping the system is bled and youre done!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheeres mate so only turn wheel left and right with engine off correct ? just key in to get rid of stearing lock ..

also what fluid will i need .. ok to get some from halfords or will i need to go to vauxhall

Dave
    DaveMark

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Correct - engine off!
    I used GM genuine ... but you can use whatever u like. Just be careful to buy oil for EHPS(electro hydraulic power steering), GM's oil was green in colour.
    Oil for old style power steering is red.