Thread: diagnostic tool code reader

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

diagnostic tool code reader

hello, im thinking of buying one of those diagnostic tool code readers can any one recommend one to buy, i have been looking at a few on e bay but only really wanting to spend under £50

thanks

tony

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    U380 is what Id recommend - but only if you want to diagnose OBDII models - on the Astra this is models from 2000 to 2004

Here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/U380-OBD-2-II-EOBD-OBD2-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-UK_W0QQitemZ370114912662QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diag nostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item370114912662&_trks id=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12 |39%3A1|240%3A1318

If you want to have the same features as above but with the addition of CANBUS models - then grab the U480

Here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/U480-OBD2-EOBD-Can-Bus-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-UK_W0QQitemZ370118356976QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diag nostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item370118356976&_trks id=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1299|66%3A2|65%3A12 |39%3A1|240%3A1318

Depending on your model year u can of course do the DIY method - but note that some faults dont appear on the DIY method or the code reader and vice versa

DIY method:

98-00 models - use the good old paperclip method: http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...69&postcount=4
    (ignore the other references in this post as its lifted directly from another thread)

00-04 models - use the both pedal method: http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...78&postcount=2

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    which would be the best for a vauxhall astra F 1.6 16v ecotec 1997 and also a ford mondeo 1.8 zetec 1996

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    quite simpy

NEITHER

Astra - use the paperclip method above - although the OBD port is in the fusebox as shown in one of the pics

Mondeo - u might get away with the U380 (may as well get the CANBUS one for a few quid extra just in case u wanna work on a CANBUS car)
    Even though it doesnt technically need to work on cars prior to 2000/2001 I managed to get it to work on a Fiesta 97 model so you probs will be in luck.

Might be worthwhile searching the net for DIY methods for fords instead of purchasing a unit

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What do you mean exactly when you say CANBUS?

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    CANBUS is the new wiring network where there are two voltages running through the car, low and high voltage depending on what needs what.

You dont have it on the cars you mentioned....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I virtually summed it up in my very first reply saying that code readers only work on Vauxhalls from 2000 onwards

If you ONLY want to diagnose the 2 cars mentioned I would get the U380 but be aware that its not guaranteed to work on the 96 Mondeo - I just say it might as I managed to work it on a 97 Fiesta.

It will definitely NOT work on the Astra - all it will come up with on models prior to 2000 is "Linking Error!"

For the Astra - do the paperclip DIY method as above.

You may wish to look into a self diagnosis method for the Ford models too.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is this code reader ok or not?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=019

thanks

tony

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    NO cos its essentially the same as the code readers above and any other OBDII device.

Quite simply your Astra is only OBDI compliant (although it has an OBDII port) is not OBDII compliant therefore this tool will not work.

You'll struggle to find any compatible code reader in the budget sector that will work on your Astra.

The above device may work on the Ford but Id imagine the code reader I posted above would work based on my past experience with the Fiesta of a similar age.

Although this is not guaranteed

What exactly do u want it for? Is it just the usual fault code reading or do u want live data recording?

If its the regual EML then Ive told u how to go about this with the DIY method

If its data logging then Im fairly confident in saying youll struggle on a non-OBDII compliant model

The only code readers I know of that work on older models are the likes of the professional Snap-On devices such as the MT2500 which is something Ive been after for some time but the prices are still fairly competitive.

Expect to pay £300-1000 for a used one!

HTH

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    an ex vauxhall mechanic tried to hook his snap on computer up to my mates vauxhall astra F and it wouldnt communicate,

just really wanting it so if some thing goes wrong with my car i can hook it up to the car, but i have a ford mondeo 1.8 1996 and cant find any self diagnosis like the paper clip test for the astra.

Would that u380 work on a newer mondeo such as 1999 to 2000

thanks

tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast