Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey,

I'm Alex, i'm 22 and from Sussex!

Looking to invest in a 02 Astra 2.0 Coupe Turbo, in fact im viewing it tomorrow! if all goes well then ill become a paid member on here! firstly though i would like to ask the single most important question..

What is the enjoyability AND reliability of this car?

Hope to stick around, there is soo much info on here!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Alex welcome to AOC buddy.

Right then first cool choice of car

What you need to know....
    When the Astra was produced it was printed in the service manual 80'000 in between cam belt changes. This is incorrect its 40'000 miles inbetween cambelt changes! Also if your going to do a cambelt change also change the water pump at the same time as these tend to fail soon after fitting a new cambelt and if they fail big time its as tragic as having a cambelt snap.

Rear springs snapping was a problem with the hatch version not sure on the coupe but it may help you get some £££ off whomever your buying it from.

The turbo's seem to last about 40-60'000 miles and most people change them for a VXR turbo as they are stronger so should last longer.

You can get the coupe turbo's remapped which would increase your output from 200BHP to somewhere in the region of 230BHP (VXR territory) and their lighter than a VXR too .

Whats your plans for the car?

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, thanks for the quick advice there!

Well to be honest i'm a subtle guy so if there were to be any mods it would be subtle perfromance changes/ suspension/ audio/ not too bothered about the performance territory till i have a better job. Thats when the cash comes out to play!

As for the car im looking into buying its from a trade dealer, but it has landed its 60k, cambelt was changed at 36k which means in 4k time it needs doing again!! as for the turbo... i will have to see if thats been replaced yet, but if this is the cost im going into lol im getting nervous already.

I have a huge issue with cars, my current shed (pug 106 Quiksilver) has cost me in the region of £2.5 - £3.5k in the past year and 8 months owning it so if i pick something else up i want to make sure im not running into bankruptcy sooner than i think!

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Welcome to AOC

if cambelt was done at 36k, it won't need to be done again until 76k. So 16k before it needs to be done.

The Z20LET(2.0T engine) is pretty reliable, had mine for 2 1/2 years now and cost me about £600 in repairs (turbo + boost control solinoid). Can't complain with that really. Air flow meters seems to be a common problem for lots of people, though not had any issues with mine. They are about £90 to replace if it goes faulty.

Make sure you give it regular oil changes, 1 every 5k is good.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oops! way too early for me to be doing maths.. lol

Ok, so im going to view the car tomorrow hes going to take me out for a test drive as i can only do it subject to a deposit being laid, so i will have a good look around the car tomorrow.. are there any sure signs of anything going wrong? Smoke from the back end for the turbo.. let me know and i will respond later as im off to work now!

All help is massively appreciated

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yes check for smoke in the mirror when pulling away, also try and leave it idling for a while and check for any smoke then. The engine may sound pretty rough, almost like a diesel when its on tickover, but that is pretty normal TBH. Check the usual's like mayo around the filler cap, though headgasket failure is pretty rare on this engine.

If its been raining check the boot for any damp, as some coupes have been known to leak a little.

If its a good-un i'm sure you will love it. Suspension upgrade is a must on the coupe, as it sits very high as standard. But once that has been done it is great fun to drive.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Yeah pretty much as Dave says. Remember to boot it when warm and look for any signs of smoke Theres not a dam lot that goes wrong with them providing their looked after.

Look for wear on the side bolsters of the seat as thats pretty common with people sliding across it. TBH just to keep the car standard but keep it in good condition your £3K you spent on the pug would of kept the coupe on the road for 9years + IMO.

Good luck with the test drive.
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi and welcome alex

Mothers with teenagers know why animals eat their young

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hello and welcome.

Blimey that 106 cost you a lot, I can assure you that the Coupe Owning experience will be a lot cheaper and less hassle than that - even if you go daft on mods!

Good luck on your search.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    The Invisible Woman
    Drives
    Zafira
    Mentioned in
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Welcome to the club Alex
    Why not sign up and join us.