Thread: ICT Technician Interview .. Eeeeek!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb ICT Technician Interview .. Eeeeek!

May remember but i posted a thread a while ago about there being naff all places taking on for inexperienced Technicians well now ive gone and got myself an interview at a school local to me that seems promising and already have a good word put in from a old teacher of mine from college.

Can anyone recommend me some tips on getting prepared?. Ive gone over work i did at college and read up a few bits just brushing up on stuff ive already learned but is there anything i can do to be prepared for the practical and so on???.

As you can see im a bit worried lol

Im taking my formal quals and some bits of work i did at college that they might be interested in (very complicated hopefully confuses them into hiring me ) the main one would be my old network plan for a complete layout and roll-out for a system installation in a mock building. .

Any tips would be helpful from you comp wiz kids.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Look at the school website, get a bit of info about them etc. Always helps to drop 'Oh yeah, I saw that on your website' into a conversation as it shows you've done the research and haven't walked in knowing nothing about them.

Having interviewed our technician, I know I was as much looking for someone I could work with (and who would take kindly to me being a stickler for doing things a certain way mostly!) as for someone with vast technical knowledge.

We ran a practical test though ours was as simple as 'identify the problems inside this PC case' where we'd disconnected a few leads, taken the RAM out etc. Pointlessly easy for some, but we had some applicants who had no clue about anything like that.

Would be interesting for you to perhaps ask about their network configuration - do they have servers, how do they manage it (for example we use RM Connect 3) etc.

Be careful not to show off techie knowledge - the interview panel will probably include those with no techie knowledge at all - they will be looking for someone who can explain complicated things in simple ways.

The IT Technicians role is as much a public-face to IT as anything else in my opinion, someone who is approachable by students and teachers.

Don't feel you can't also ask if you can bring any of your own IT interests or experience into the job even if it may seem irrelevant.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Look at the school website, get a bit of info about them etc. Always helps to drop 'Oh yeah, I saw that on your website' into a conversation as it shows you've done the research and haven't walked in knowing nothing about them.

Having interviewed our technician, I know I was as much looking for someone I could work with (and who would take kindly to me being a stickler for doing things a certain way mostly!) as for someone with vast technical knowledge.

We ran a practical test though ours was as simple as 'identify the problems inside this PC case' where we'd disconnected a few leads, taken the RAM out etc. Pointlessly easy for some, but we had some applicants who had no clue about anything like that.

Would be interesting for you to perhaps ask about their network configuration - do they have servers, how do they manage it (for example we use RM Connect 3) etc.

Be careful not to show off techie knowledge - the interview panel will probably include those with no techie knowledge at all - they will be looking for someone who can explain complicated things in simple ways.

The IT Technicians role is as much a public-face to IT as anything else in my opinion, someone who is approachable by students and teachers.

Don't feel you can't also ask if you can bring any of your own IT interests or experience into the job even if it may seem irrelevant.
    Cheers matey, ive done some of that already, read through what they've sent me and so on and read a bit on there website like the fact the schools very religous based and also that at one point (from memory) in 2005 it had one of the lowest gradings of the area (which has now dramtically risen).

Will have a looky tommorow and start reading up on everything again just so i can get my head around things. I hope to god i dont make myself look a prat lol, if they do the practical test like your place i cant see it going to bad as im good with most areas (although i have wired a PC up wrong once or twice lmao)