Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

02 Zaf Z18XE DTC's + Test drive feedback

02 plate Zaf
    P0335 - Cam shaft sensor?

Revs at idle 1.2k - 2k sometimes tries to stall sub 700rpm

Cleared the code off and went for a drive, doesnt seem to drive wrongly, pulls alright (but im used to 2.0TDI). Doesnt hesitate. Upon changing gear, lift off accelerator and depress clutch and revs seem to fly by about 1k, dont think this is my poor driving style, definetly something funny going on there.

Revs in 5th gear at 60 = 3.2k

Opinions?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    common problem on Z18 mainly due to lack of EGR - id say the usual cleaning of the throttle body would help matters - best off whipping it off the car and soaking it in carb cleaner - clean till its shiney again particularly around the butterfly

not sure about camsensor tho - although straightforward to replace

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just read on bba-reman.com p0335 is Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP). This is for my aunty 50 miles away so I nor she can clean the TB nor can we be messing about in the engine bay. Should I send her to her local trusted garage asking them to replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor and to clean the TB? Would it be easier (cheaper) to buy Crank sensor off ebay etc or are they the sort of things that enjoy being eaten depending on mileage?

EDIT - Ive just read the guide on here, I reckon I could do that throttle body cleaning thing on my own, it doesnt look too difficult, only problem would be if it needs taking off to be cleaned, its highly unlikely its been touched in its 90000 miles. Is the TB fairly simple to pull off / out. Also, if im going to do that myself, how do you fit a new Crankshaft sensor? Ive been googling but cant find anything for this engine, theres a good one out there for x20xev but its a different engine

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just read on bba-reman.com p0335 is Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP).

I have a diagnostic trouble code library care of autodata. and P0335 lists this - Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction

Probable cause is - Wiring, CKP or ECM

Hope this helps in any way.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right, its been to a garage and they have had a look around, its all clean and tidy in the above mentioned areas. When I read the code I also deleted it and she says the EML hasnt come back on again since. However the high and inconsistent idle is still happening, it idles around 2krpm but it pulls off fine, doesnt drive any different and is generally sound as it was whether the EML was on or not. I can confirm the EML definetly hasnt been on because the bloke she took it to hooked the computer up and couldnt find any codes.

So what would cause this high idle? Could it be something as stupid as a sticky accelerator cable? I dont know whether they are fly-by or cable driven on these engines?? What else could cause it?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    bump bump bump for edit in last post

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what about the actual crank sensor? has it been replaced

the only thing left i should imagine is the tb itself seeing as the ICV is built in - this comes in at a rather large premium though

If its owt like the turbos then the good old AFM could be to blame (youd need a one from a 1.8 or 2.0 to try)

sorry as it seems were clutching at straws

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No from what she said today the sensor wasnt replaced, as the code couldnt be replicated. If it turns out to be something expensive she will run it till either the MOT expires (wont pass with a dodgy idle surely?) or it breaks completely, ill leave this thread here for now, see if anyone else has a brainwave, thanks so far