AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Detail not up to standard

Had a go at finally doing my car today.
    was nice and dirty so started with a wash with the 2bucket method

once clean and lots of water over it, it got driven into the lockup to start on the nitty stuff.

was clayed with megs claybar kit (was only done a few months back so didnt really pick up anything)

next i got out the RO and started with the menz products.
    the car didnt look like it had much/deep scratches/scuffs to pull out so only used the FF product on a menz cutting disc. - went over each panel around 2/3times

with the light it looked like the paintwork was lovely and smooth but as it was getting dark when i finished i turned on the floodlights.

when i came to putting petes wax on, it went on nicely then seemed to dry and became an arse to remove. is this normal? also i picked up a sonus finishing pad but when it came to remove the wax yet again it just turned to dust.

basically my questions are:

1) swirls werent removed so should i just try again with menz IP to try remove them, if this still doesnt work what can i do.

2) roughly how many times should u go over the area to work it

3) how much product do u put on the pad as i seemed to use alot of my sample (250ml) bottle.

4) is the way petes was applied and came off normal

5) how long do RO pads last as my menz one looked like it had come away from the hook n loop on the bottom - me pressing too hard?

lastly

6) should i bother with the sonus pad for petes wax or just put on, and buff off with a MF cloth?

sorry for all the questions, just wanna get it right - as it took a long time to do so want a lovely finish plus the products cost alot

ill try get sum pics up soon

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1) did you work the polish till clear?
    2)1 or 2 passes should suffice. 1 pass means 1 section polished till product is clear. bout 3 mins or so for a 12" x 12" section
    3)3 pea sized blobs is enough
    4)Pete's is normally easy to apply and buff off.
    5)should last a while depending on amount of use.
    6)i find wax is best applied by hand first circular then side to side then front to back. it gives a nice thin even coat.

hope that helps
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    ta for the response.

yea it was worked till it was clear *i think*
    put a X through the pad so next time ill try 3 blobs

and dunno wot happened with petes then, seemed to just dry out really quickly. would u apply 1 panel at a time then buff off or do the whole car?

tbh if i had lots of dust come off, i might have applied too much?

thought of another question:
    how do u get around the bottom of the wing mirror with the RO? as it gets in the way of it, and also how do u do the bits under the handles (where most of the scratches actually are)

some pics that i had on the camera....

Before

During

After

couldnt get any full length shots as it was pitch black outside and peeing it down.
    will try get some close paint shots to show the marks still

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if the wax was dusting im sure you applied to much, and the awkward areas need to be done by hand (use a german or sonus double sided pad) which takes a while, but can be done
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1) If the polish/pad combo was not working for you then sure up the ratio, try the next polish or pad up. A brinkman light or similar would help you alot as you will be able to propperly asses the paint in most conditions of light.

2) Don't know really,what ever works. If you can fully correct a panel in one hit maybe you are using too intense pad/polish combo. You want to take off as little as possible really. That clear coat needs to last you for years!

3) I prime the pad with a quick detail sparay, 2 squirts. Then I only use two skittle sized balls on the pad. I used FF on my astra 5dr and had somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of 250ml bottle left. Not correction work, just playing

4) Applying any wax/ sealant depends on all sorts of factors like temperature and humidity, I found under 2x 500w halogens in a small garage on a cool day - waxing 2 panels removing the first, waxing the next, removing the last, waxing the next etc worked well. doing too much could make it awkward to remove. The amount of product is a key factor, remember, less is more. I did half a bonnet with a foam pad having a quick wipe in the pot. If you can see it on the paint there is enough on the pad. When you stop seing it, reload your pad.

5) Pads in general should last a while. You shouldn't need a great deal of pressure, rely on the pad/polish but at times yea pressure will help the processe. If your pad failed early maybe you should have a look at washing/drying + storing pads. You could even just be unlucky

lastly

6) Personaly I would just a aplly by hand with a foam pad and remove with a nice plush microfibre.

Make sure what you have left are the swirls and not mild deffects like holograms as these could be inflicted if you were not finishing down properly, although you shouldn't have a problem with a mild cut polish. Have a search and read on the zenith point techique if you havent already.
    08 5Dr Design, De-badged, VXR Style pack, Window Tints

55 1.7cdti Astra Van