Thread: garage heaters

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

garage heaters

I'm looking to be doing spending alot of time in my garage over winter working on bits for my car, and I wanna keep warm.

Basicly, I want a heater for the garage, and what I want needs to be cheapish to buy and cheapish to run.

Now I've seen one of these infrerad heaters, which will cost about 7p per hour to run and it's chear to buy

Also, as I'll be doing painting, I don't want the heater to have a blower blowing all the dust and that around the garage while I'm painting.

This one looks ideal, just want to know if poeple have any experience on them or thoughts as to the pros n cons of it http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-1200W-GARDEN-PATIO-GARAGE-HALOGEN-HEATER_W0QQitemZ220315728366QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ Home_Garden_Conservatory_Patio_bbq_Patio_Covers_He ating?hash=item220315728366&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_ trkparms=72%3A1345%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C2 40%3A1318

Cheers

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I bought a couple of them, only have one fitted.
    Gives immediate heat and a red glow

I've never tested it in earnest, as its a double garage with large-ish loft area. So would need more to heat the whole garage.

Saying that I would recommend it.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coo View Post
    I bought a couple of them, only have one fitted.
    Gives immediate heat and a red glow

I've never tested it in earnest, as its a double garage with large-ish loft area. So would need more to heat the whole garage.

Saying that I would recommend it.
    My garage is a double garage with a massive roof area above the rafters as well, but I've got all the decking from the garden taking up 1 half of it.

So they are definately worth it then? Brilliant

I bought one of those lil fan heaters from eBay last year but it's bloody useless

kr00zin_uk
    That looks like a good option...

I was going to suggest halogen heaters (some are upright with remote control, swivel and thermostat functions).

Space heaters are another good option, but more expensive to buy.

How about just wearing a couple of good old fashioned jumpers, or a fleece?

Seems a shame to let all that heat escape outside through the non insulated walls, roof and drafty door...

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I've been thinking of panelling the roof to make the space to be heated smaller...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    these are good, but only to take the chill off the air, unless you have a ver small garage and then it would take oprob 2 at leats to give good heat unless your working right underneath them, recommend tho or buy the actual garden heater types with the parasol on them the throw the heat downwards if you can fit it in.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr00zin_uk View Post
    That looks like a good option...

I was going to suggest halogen heaters (some are upright with remote control, swivel and thermostat functions).

Space heaters are another good option, but more expensive to buy.

How about just wearing a couple of good old fashioned jumpers, or a fleece?

Seems a shame to let all that heat escape outside through the non insulated walls, roof and drafty door...
    Thing is, I don't like wearing alot of layers, and especially if I'm going to be sanding/painting alot out there I would rather just wear a t-shirt and thickish jumper.

Space heaters and halogen heaters, mmm, I'm going to go and google them to find out more

The main problem is that I live with my mum and stepdad, and there is no point in me buying an expensive heater, or insulating the garage when I'm looking at buying my own place when the housing market hits rock bottom. Also, I'm not going to be spending a large amount of time out there, only when I'm spraying, refurbing alloys or fibre glassing, so I just want something that is small, cheap to run and will keep it warm enough for me (about 18'C would be perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Astra_Sport1981 View Post
    these are good, but only to take the chill off the air, unless you have a ver small garage and then it would take oprob 2 at leats to give good heat unless your working right underneath them, recommend tho or buy the actual garden heater types with the parasol on them the throw the heat downwards if you can fit it in.
    The parasol heaters are going to be too expensive to buy and run, in terms of how much I'm going to use it for.

So you reckon that 2 of these heaters would be good for my garage? Also, the advantage of them would be that I can mount them in my garden when I get my own place

Cheers for the replies guys, I'm off to look at some more heaters

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    interesting thread as its something i am looking into at the minute as well, although i only have a single garage and my needs are slightly different. I am getting a lot of damp from the walls and I want to either run a heater for a set few hours a day or a dehumidifier. Not sure whats the best to run to be honest, the heater seems the better option as i will spend some time in there as well.

Cost to run is also important.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    they are a lot cheaper to run then the space heater i use in work
    £150 per day for Big one
    £90 per day for each small one an 2 of them
    we used to have the lamps like that an they are about £10 a day

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra Van 1.7 DTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I have one like the above. I have panneled the rafters so the loft space is seperate and made up a rubber seal to go round the door. Works well, im also the type that doesnt like wearing alot of layers, so this is ideal.

MArk

MK4 Astra Van 1.7 DTI Sportive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast