Thread: Engine conversion or coilys

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Engine conversion or coilys

Hi all, just seeing what you lot would do if you were in the same boat.
    I've not long ago bought a 308mm brake kit to go on my van to
    1. give me a slight chance of stopping and
    2. get ready incase I want to put a z20let converion in

This is how my motor stands at the minute

It is in need of lowering in my opinion as this is a side view (before bumper and skirts)

Thing is I've been saving for coilys and just as I decide to go for them I have been offered everything to convert my oil burner into a z20let for £1400. Is it just me thinking this is a mint price and that I should snap his hand off for this deal or would this oppurtunity come frequently enough to lower the van and wait a little longer until I commit to a let engine!?
    What would you do?

Thanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's a damn cheap price for the conversion. Does that include the fitting of it as well?

Personally, if you're fitting the engine, then just get some cheap raceland collies off of eBay until you get something better.

My quote for the LET dropped into mine is more then that, and I'm trying to save for it

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No that's just the parts unfortunately, not sure how much the fitting would be, any ideas? Only thing that puts me off the let is the price of insurance, I'm already paying £1000 for insurance with 3yrs NCB and being 20, I think I'll struggle to get insured.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    id do the engine conversion myself

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_van View Post
    No that's just the parts unfortunately, not sure how much the fitting would be, any ideas? Only thing that puts me off the let is the price of insurance, I'm already paying £1000 for insurance with 3yrs NCB and being 20, I think I'll struggle to get insured.
    That's still a good price on all the bits

Give Gman a PM, as he quoted me for my engine conversion a few months ago and I'll be taking his offer up when I've got the pennies for it

I'm quite lucky, I'm 26 with 5 years no claims paying £299 fully comp and my insurance goes up by £50 a year for the LET engine in mine When I asked my insurance company why it was so cheap they said that the SRi is classed as high performance experience

I'm insured with a company called Ensign (through Adrian Flux) and they do seem to be very mod friendly. I've phoned them up 3 times declaring more mods and my insurance hasn't gone up once

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can guarentee that I wont get a quote for less than triple what I am paying, would it be worth buying to sell on, then I could have the coilys, sell the engine for what it's worth, and keep that spare for next years renewal quote!? I don't know what the whole lots worth to be honest