Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is to be expected with these mods?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

what is to be expected with these mods?

Astra coupe 2.2i SE2 with only 30,000 on the clock.engine has been serviced every 4,000 miles, (6 services in total) and running like a dream at the moment!

1x Pipercross box & cat back system (already fitted)

1x Modified Airbox (already done)

1x courtney bog bore intake (vectra C modded) £32 (supplied and fitted by courtney)

1x K&N Panel Filter £37

1x set of NGK Irridium spark plugs £35

1x Remap and rolling road tune £340.00 (to be done at courtneys)

I think If I've got my calculations right, should be around +20 at the most for this lot? So around 167BHP in total, but with lots more mid range torque.

Has anyone else had the same /similer mods (with the remap) and can they tell me what figures have? and if they can recommend anything other worthwhile mods? I was thinking about the FSE power boost valve as well as the cooler running thermostat.
    I know another vauxhall user is running 175 bhp with the same engine (although different mods carried out) and he says he has 0-60 time of 7.1 seconds, which would be great if I was anywhere near that.

Thanks in advance!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anyone?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to piss on your bonfire matey but no way will u get anywhere near your quoted figures (IMO of course)

most of the mods listed wont even give an increase at all - they may improve throttle response and/or driveability but if you're chasing bhp gains then you really need to be looking elsewhere

It all depends what stage of map you are going for but having said that - you've got a base power of approx 144 bhp - I would expect max power to peak at about 155bhp - Courtenay may well provide a graph showing 170 plus but without a before and after - all gains are to be taken with a pinch of salt - or a handful if its CS

Good luck anyway

As for Z22SE mods - check out Ffoeg's biography here: http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...ad.php?t=81078

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Gotta agree with Marti. Most of those 'mods' won't add to peak power, but they will make the car fell better on the road (which is the main thing).

Most 2.2 seems to run at around 150ish as standard so you can add a few bhp to what Matri guesstimated, but from 10 to 15 gainat athe very most.

Pipercross box & cat back system - not a great gain as the inlet manifold/cat are the main restriction.

1x Modified Airbox (already done) - negliable gain

1x courtney bog bore intake (vectra C modded) £32 (supplied and fitted by courtney) - negliable gain. I wouldn't pay someone £18 to fit this

1x K&N Panel Filter £37 - 1-2 gain at amost

1x set of NGK Irridium spark plugs £35 - waste of money on a 2.2... stick with OE tri electrodes.

1x Remap and rolling road tune £340.00 (to be done at courtneys) - poss 10-12 gain

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Do people really feel that these types of mods do that little? Without a remap on my 1.6 16v (assuming most of these Z16XE's roll around 105bhp standard instead of the quoted ~100) similar mods to those got my petrol roll up to 117bhp..I'd expect more from the 2.2 with a remap on top?

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You really can't go by book figures, as all engines are different, and mods will affect different engines in different ways. The only way you can realistically measure increase is to have before and after RR sessions.

If you get a random engine off a production line and compare that to a 'blueprinted' standard engine, they'll be a noticable difference between the 2. and that will be purely down the bluprinted engine having bettwer tolerances than thosr on a production line.

lol .."bluprinted" that's a word you don't hear these days

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Blueprinting my old Nova engine was always on my wishlist

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ah well thanks for the honest answers guys. will be very interested in seeing what gains I should be getting when I have the remap done next month. again, thought 20bhp would be around the max gained, but I am more interested in torque and acceleration/mid range, so it should be all good.

what the hell alternativyl , i may just sell my motor for around £4,000 and buy a turbo lol

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Torque is worked out as a calculation based on bhp and rpm but I've yet to work out in my head how the whole bhp/torque thing works Technically if you know bhp at any given rpm you can work out torque at the same rpm.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well , yeah I guess as long as I "feel" the difference, that will be good enough for me.

Also got the price of another possible mod, Is it worth doing the "pre-cat" removal mod? I would feel comfortable doing it myself, but courtney charge £195 to fit this, which includes a new pre-cat pipe. they reckon this could unleash 4-5 horses on its own. worth a go?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast