Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astravan gear selection problems

Hi,

I recently got myself and Astravan so that it would make life easier. I get involved with a lot of outdoor sports like mountain biking and surfing so I wanted something that would carry all my equipment without the hassle of getting roof racks and bike racks.

I've started getting it back to good condition because the previous owner didn't really look after it and went to the breakers to get a few bits to replace tatty trim and other internal bits and pieces. The gear stick sourround was a bit tatty so I took the original off and got one from an estate. I put the replacement on and now when selecting first gear I end up with reverse. It seems that the little button you pull up to select reverse gear no longer works. I've looked for things it needs to clip into but can't see anything and I'm really confused. I can't work out if the part just isn't compatible with the old one or if I'm missing something. It seems a bit silly to have created this much hassle from what started out as only a minor niggle.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you look below the handbrake and take the piece of plastic off, you will see 2 torx screws, undo them and that will let you pull your gear gaitor up so that you can see the machanism. from there you should be able to figure out what's going wrong............. oh and thumbs up for getting an astravan

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unfortunately that's what got me introuble in the first place. I pulled off the gear knob, undid the screws and pulled the old gaitor off because it was tatty. I'm not sure if the estate gaitor is not compatible. I'm pretty sure I put the spring and everything back in the right place. You have a shaft coming down from the gear knob with a plastic block on the end. This slides down over another plastic block but it doesn't stay there. I'm really confused.

I imagine a Haynes manual would have this in. I can't find a van specific manual but I guess that the regular Astra one covers it all?