Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Whats better??

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    SRiTaff's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Drives
    Zafira GSi
    Location
    Warrington,Cheshire
    Posts
    2,829
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question Whats better??

    Iv recently fitted a cone filter 2 my car,before this i had a De-restricted airbox with K&N pannel filter (but no vecci C intake).Havent really noticed much difference between the 2.
    Just wondering which is the better Mod?
    . ..SRiTaff ...
    LIKE: ZletCruisers on Facebook.
    Drives: Arden Blue Zafira GSi.

  2. #2
    Status
    Offline
    pepe's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,419
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had a cone filter on my xe when i first fitted the engine, it was too loud, way too slow and drunk the juice.
    i put the panel filter on and there was a hell of a difference in power - fuel consumption and sound
    on some engines its hard to tell if you've gained or lost power with a cone fitted, but my xe just wont run right with one.

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    nry's Avatar
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    25,986
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    General consensus of this forum:

    Cone filter = lots of hot air intake from the engine = poor performance
    Vectra intake pipe + derestricted airbox + panel filter = best option

    Even with the 'cold air feed' you have on your picture the Vectra/derestricted option is probably the best. Even then we're talking minimal gains on the 1.8 16v...plus give the ECU a few redline runs to let it sort out the new airflow rates before you ditch things for poor fuel consumption.

  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    SRiTaff's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Drives
    Zafira GSi
    Location
    Warrington,Cheshire
    Posts
    2,829
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ye im very tempted 2 put box back on & get a Vecci C pipe (where do i get 1 & how much r they). The only problem i have now is that iv got a big cold air feed in my front bumper,which i think looks quite cool....imo anway,lol(see my garage pics),that then becomes pointless & i'll b left with a hole in my front bumper if i remove it.
    . ..SRiTaff ...
    LIKE: ZletCruisers on Facebook.
    Drives: Arden Blue Zafira GSi.

  5. #5
    Status
    Offline
    nry's Avatar
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    25,986
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thing is, cold air feed will only do anything vaguely useful at higher speeds...at higher speeds the airflow through the front grill will be high anyhow...so no idea if it is of any use!

    Vectra C (deisel) pipe info is in a HowTo in the 'Technical Guides' section - has part codes that you take to Vauxhall, swap for £15 or so, then fit

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    SRiTaff's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Drives
    Zafira GSi
    Location
    Warrington,Cheshire
    Posts
    2,829
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    soundo,thanks. Think i am guna go bk 2 box.
    . ..SRiTaff ...
    LIKE: ZletCruisers on Facebook.
    Drives: Arden Blue Zafira GSi.

  7. #7
    fdrightup
    fdrightup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Thing is, cold air feed will only do anything vaguely useful at higher speeds...at higher speeds the airflow through the front grill will be high anyhow...so no idea if it is of any use!

    Vectra C (deisel) pipe info is in a HowTo in the 'Technical Guides' section - has part codes that you take to Vauxhall, swap for £15 or so, then fit
    Thing is, cold air feed will only do anything vaguely useful at higher speeds...at higher speeds the airflow through the front grill will be high anyhow...so no idea if it is of any use!
    this is right about the air flow, you could if you wanted to use different sizes of bell mouth to give you more or less airflow at lower speeds and higher speeds as well

  8. #8
    fdrightup
    fdrightup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    General consensus of this forum:

    Cone filter = lots of hot air intake from the engine = poor performance
    Vectra intake pipe + derestricted airbox + panel filter = best option

    Even with the 'cold air feed' you have on your picture the Vectra/derestricted option is probably the best. Even then we're talking minimal gains on the 1.8 16v...plus give the ECU a few redline runs to let it sort out the new airflow rates before you ditch things for poor fuel consumption.
    plus give the ECU a few redline runs to let it sort out the new airflow rates before you ditch things for poor fuel consumption
    or reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery this is the same when you change panel filters and spark plugs

  9. #9
    fdrightup
    fdrightup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SRiTaff View Post
    Iv recently fitted a cone filter 2 my car,before this i had a De-restricted airbox with K&N pannel filter (but no vecci C intake).Havent really noticed much difference between the 2.
    Just wondering which is the better Mod?
    you could try heat shielding the cone filter from engine bay heat and face the cold air feed at the end of the cone filter because on some the end of the cone inducts air as well the ones without the chrome end caps , you could if wanted to reconnect the resonator as well

  10. #10
    fdrightup
    fdrightup's Avatar
    in the photo the cold air feed pipe that goes along the side of the top radiator hose this will pre heat the cold air feed pipe, had the same problem on my astra and rover 416 gsi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. exhaust whats good and whats worth getting??
    By hannahstirling in forum Astra Discussion & Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 22:41
  2. Whats on Pete's Sofa? (a variation on whats in the box!)
    By PeteG in forum Chit Chat and a Warm Welcome!
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 15:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •