Thread: Claiming on insurance

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Claiming on insurance

If I claimed on my insurance and they sent an assessor round, and told me either the claim would cost £xx amount or that the car is written off, would I be able to turn round and say well I don't want to go through insurance then.

Not sure where I stand with this stuff, if I claim do I have to go with it through until the end or can I just cancel the claim if I don't like the outcome of the assessor?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can cancel at any stage mate, i got hit by a limo and the insurance company came out to assess it but i didnt want to put it on the insurance as a claim due to being young. therefore find out then decide and then just phone up and say yes or no mate!!

TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE btw

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    id personaly get a body repair shop person to have a look at it for you and give you a rough idea.

and looking at your pics mate, i think your guna be looking at around 2500-3000 going through the insurance,as they will use genuine vauxhall parts etc so they will be more costly than say, if you purchased body panels from a body shop.

and also, they are going to want to know what happened, and what you hit, so then they would probably pay for the damage caused to the traffice island thing. and im afraid all this will go down against your name, so when you come to renew or get another insurance quote, they will be able to see all your driving history...

and when they have seen that your previous insurer had to pay out alot of money due to your accident, then they will class you as high risk.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The only thing stopping me from going through the insurance is the loss of a years NCB and the high renewal cost.

The only thing edging me towards going through insurance is the cost of the lampost.

Arg if only I had money...lol.

Another question

I have around 6 months left on my insurance, now it would do me a world of good to keep it and gain 1 yrs NCB (providing I don't claim), although my mum says what's the point in paying to insure a car that doesn't even get used.

I've looked at the possibility of a laid-up policy, what are these? What do they involve doing, and are they alot cheaper?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    a laid up policy is usualy used on something like a classic car, where there not on the road all the time, ie are taken off for restoration but some kind of cover is still needed, ie if the car is stolen,damaged by thugs etc. but sometimes these are only offered if the car is garaged.

and thing with insurance is that if your coming near an end with your policy and you claim, they seem to bump the price up more than say if you claimed like within 1month of taking the policy out.

idealy you need to settle the money with the council for the damage.
    Have they actualy been chasing you for repair?

personaly i would break the car and sell them. the money you make from it, pay the council if they are chasing you for money, and then get a little run around to put you on, like a little corsa or fiesta. youl not be losing your NCB and it will be cheap insure and you can save up for something better.

and IMHO i think theyd write the car off, and a write off against your name is worse than an accident. other insurers will not see that it was just front end damage, they just see it as a write off...end of! and in the eyes of the insurer....a pretty bad accident.

sorry if i rambled lol.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oo and after reading your first post again...
    an assesor will not come to your house,if you choose to claim, they should give you a couple of approved repairers near you and get you to call them and arrange a pick up time etc.
    then they will come round,pick your car up then take it back to their garage, few days later they will give you a call and say whether its a write off or not.
    (this will happen by assesing the damage, calculating how much it will cost to repair, then phonin your insurance company and then they will decide whether there going to write it off or not).

if they choose not to write it off, they will ask if you want to go ahead with it or not. if they do class it as a write off, then you can then buy the car back of them, not sure how this bit works im afraid. and this write off will be put on your policy notes and be put against your name also.

EDIT: hence why i suggested getting a decent body shop/garage to give you an estimate.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for that matey.

My mum rang the insurance company whilst I was at work about a week ago and it was then that she was told an assessor would come out, because the car is undriveable.

I damaged a lampost thing and a bollard, went back to take pictures and they had already replaced the bollard and cleared any other mess up. They haven't said a word to me.

The only concern I have is the fact I go away in just over 2 weeks, for 6 weeks, and it will be too late to claim when I get back, yet the council may ring me and send me a bill at any time.

Is there a time limit as to when the council can get in touch?