Thread: Which bulbs to buy

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Which bulbs to buy

Hi im a newbie and got a 06 1.4sxi sporthatch.

Didnt get a manual with the car and was thinking of uprating the bulbs. Is it just simply pull the back out and replace or do you have to remove the whole headlight? And i dont know what bulb to buy, i.e h1, h4, h7. What do these all mean and wil anyone fit my car??

thnx

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    if u bought the car from a dealer id request a replacement manual and service book from them (otherwise its going to cost you, and lower the car price when you come to sell it).

in terms of bulbs it depends on which type u have.
    on my h 5dr i use h7 (dipped) and h1 (full) but unsure if its the same on the 3dr -- probably is tho.

and no you cant just replace the bulbs with any one,
    h1 - 1pin
    h4 - 3pin
    h7 - 2pin

so they wont plug into the bulb holder. You can just about get to the bulbs with the headlight in place. to replace the dipped beam u have to go from the wheel arch. if u have a look youll see a small doorway which u unclip to gain access. on full beam u can go straight in from under the bonnet.

last thing make sure you get 55w watt bulbs and not the 100w ones. 1st of all the 100w are illegal to use as they are showlights and 2nd'ly it will cause a problem with the canbus system as it will come up that the bulb is drawing too much power and shut them down

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I've just uprated the bulbs in mine. There was a pair of H7's and also a pair of H1's. I used the halfords website to find out what was in the car --- > Clicky

They are also on BOGOF at the moment so I went for the +90% ones.

They were the worst bulbs to change which I have ever done! You change one set through the access panel in the wheel arches and the other from under the bonnet.

Glenn.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok thnx for the replies guys, so from this link looks like i need H7 dipped and H1 main.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...on=getProducts

Ive heard the philips xtreme bulbs are quite good so mite try and get hold of them ones, but are the halfords ones any good glen? As im after like a white or blue light

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Has anyone got any recomendations for good bulbs which give of a white or a blue glow, for h1 and h7?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Compared to the originals that I took out the halfords ones are alot whiter and brighter. I had one original in one side and a halfords one in the other side and you could easily tell the difference.

Now the only thing the lights seem to lack is distance, but this may be down to the design of the lights?

I've also heard good things about the philips bulbs, if these hadn't been on offer when I was in i'd probably have gone for them.

Glenn.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    JUst put some RIng Xenon Max in mine tonight the H1 & the H7

they are meant to be 90% brighter than standard and could deffo tell the difference to standard give a lovely bright white light

put some little led's in the sidelights but they keep flicking on then going off so been reading up lots about that tonight and seems its a common problem

anyway back to the bulbs found most stores do them for £25 a pair but found a place on ebay £16.50 a pair and will combine shipping too so got pair of h1 and H7 for about £35 and they were here the following day

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile 100w headlight bulb

hi you can put 100w bulbs in your headlights without having trouble with the cambus system im running with 100w bulbs dip beam and 100w in full beam being like this for last 12 months never had any problems thought id let people know dont know about mot though not due first one while april this year a mate of mine who owns a car spares shop said as long as your beam aim is spot on you should be fine

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    would have thought the extra wattage that is needed for the bulbs would have caused an error to appear on the dash and shut the power off (to save the wires from possibily overheating)

fair enough tho

I bought sum H1 upgrade bulbs from halfords on friday (super brilliance ones). supposed to be 50% brighter but still came out yellow crappy colour and couldnt really see them over the HIDs.
    Gotta take them back tomoz, think a little chav might have bought them, swapped the bulbs over then returned them for his money back