Thread: 1.7Dti tuning, what next?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.7Dti tuning, what next?

Hey guys! New to this site and new to the tuning world so im after a bit of advice.
    Drive an '01 Astra 1.7 Dti that has a 2" powerflow turbo back exhaust, derestricted airbox with panel filter and a remap so estimate it to be sitting round 110-115bhp with no smoke.

What i want to know is what can be done next to reliably take the power up that little bit more. Any gain with changing intercoolers? Possible to fit turbo off a 2.0dti (if its any different to 1.7)? Anything else???

As i said im new to this stuff so be gentle with me lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    115hp is about the limit of the engine. Any more you'll be trashing the gearbox and clutch.

The turbo off the 2.0DTi is totally, totally different so that's not a goer.

All that said, though, if you had someone with the know-how to map in a variable vane turbo, you could fit the turbo and manafold off the new 1.7CDTi out of the Corsa D SRi - they're 125hp standard and basically the same lump only with the modern variable vane turbo. I'd recon you should get well over 140hp if you don't mind a little reek.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Where abouts did you get your car remapped??

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZS View Post
    115hp is about the limit of the engine. Any more you'll be trashing the gearbox and clutch.

The turbo off the 2.0DTi is totally, totally different so that's not a goer.

All that said, though, if you had someone with the know-how to map in a variable vane turbo, you could fit the turbo and manafold off the new 1.7CDTi out of the Corsa D SRi - they're 125hp standard and basically the same lump only with the modern variable vane turbo. I'd recon you should get well over 140hp if you don't mind a little reek.
    115bhp the limit??? i,m currently running a lot more than that on standard clutch and gearbox and a healthy 120k on the clock and its running 110%, a varible vane turbo is a goer as i have fitted the one from a golf gt tdi 150 but it was a big headache getting it working right as at first it wouldnt make boost till 3k but this was down to the way the actuator was controlled as it was different between the two cars, as you say though one of a new corsa may be a good idea but at the time i didnt have that option
    project smoker is now stepping up a notch check garage for details

if its illegal to smoke until the age of 18 my astra should of been locked up ages ago!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got the car mapped with puretorque here in Northern Ireland. I was told that 105bhp with no other mods was the limit she would go to before starting to smoke.
    So would it be worth my while getting them to tweak the fuelling and boost now that shes breathing a bit easier? Any gain on plumbing in a slightly larger ic?

Suppose its just down to the same old story that when you start tuning a car youre never satisfied and want more! lol

Out of curiosity white van man, whats been done to your engine and whats she putting out?

Cheers lads

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A bigger IC would be a plan - the standard one is miserable.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tdni View Post
    Got the car mapped with puretorque here in Northern Ireland. I was told that 105bhp with no other mods was the limit she would go to before starting to smoke.
    So would it be worth my while getting them to tweak the fuelling and boost now that shes breathing a bit easier? Any gain on plumbing in a slightly larger ic?

Suppose its just down to the same old story that when you start tuning a car youre never satisfied and want more! lol

Out of curiosity white van man, whats been done to your engine and whats she putting out?

Cheers lads

smoke is an issue with mine i must admit, its not massive amounts just when the loud pedal gets abused, see garage for spec
    project smoker is now stepping up a notch check garage for details

if its illegal to smoke until the age of 18 my astra should of been locked up ages ago!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hey guys sorry to interupt here, but i am intreeged as i have a 1.7dti onvoy on a 51 plate (isuzu lump) it only has about 75bhp standard, i have fitted a intake to her and had a decat and the centre silencer has also been removed, i was told about the actuator and how you can adjust them to give more boost, jw if anyone had a "how to" that they no of that they could give me a link to, also, ****ing hell white van man,, what power/torque you puting out ruffly? i want big power but as i only earn about 400 amonth, makes things dificult as im still at college and have high insurance costs atm thanks guys

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mate, this thread is from 2008....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted