Thread: LPG astra

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

LPG astra

ive just bought an accident damaged 52 plate 1.6 club with LPG.

Just wondering how can you tell how much LPG is in??? is there a gauge somewhere that I havent seen yet???

Also just wondering how much diffrent these are to the standard engine, in terms of service and repair??

Any common faults etc??

also if I ever break it to the point where it needs a new engine, can you just buy any 1.4 16v ecotec engine and add the gas kit/head?? or does it have to be an engine from another gas car??

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Petrol gauge registers the LPG levels if it is a factory fitted conversion and the switch near the gear lever is on the 'LPG' setting. Can take 5-10 minutes to give the correct reading though - switchit back to petrol and the gauge then shows petrol levels again, with the same 5-10 minute delay in reading: if you switch to LPG then turn the ignition then the reading is quickly given accurately, it's only got a delay if you change whilst driving (which you can do).

The car will always start on petrol (even when switched to LPG) and then auto switch to PG when the engine warms up - usually within a few seconds. If LPG runs out it will auto-switch to petrol, but it won't auto-switch to LPG if petrol runs out.

No different in comparison to the petrol only engine, beyond it has the obvious LPG bits on.

Common faults? Mine had loads of issues when new but has *touch wood* been very reliable on the LPG side of things ever since. Done me proud for 131,000 miles now.

You can swap the engine over, all you'd probably need to keep is the intake manifold which I believe (according to my garage) drilled to accept the LPG 'injector thingy which isn't an injector and I forget the name' bits! I asked this for my 1.6 16v and that's the response I got.

Servicing is identical to the petrol model - some say there is a specific LPG service but no garage I have asked knows what this actually is, nor does the LPG manual for the car mention it.

Overall LPG burns MUCH cleaner, so is generally better for reduced engine wear.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    thanks alot mate thats been a great help. cant wait to get it all done and up and running, its costing me a fortune using my BMW for work, im putting £50-£60 a week in and its a 320 diesel!!!!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    On a good day I can get 300-330 out of the LPG tank before it switches to petrol, it does 280 or so before the light comes on.

For me that's about £25-£26 to fill up again at 58.9p per litre. If LPG is cheaper for you (someone here said they are paying 51.9p) then it'll be less again. The 1400 16v may well be a little more economical too so even better.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    mines the 1.6 16v m8, LPG at our local shell is just shy of 52p a litre, Ive heard a rumour its 48p ish at asda but havent been to check yet.

What engine code is mine?? X16SZR???

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Sorry, read the last paragraph about a 1.4 Ecotec, my bad!

Our ASDA doesn't do LPG, wish it did, when I got this car back in 2002 PG was 34.9p per litre! £15 for 300 miles, lovely jubely!

My engine is I believe a Z16XE, no idea on yours, I'd have thought the same for yours too on a 52 plate, mine's an '02 plate.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    yer I would guess yours is the same as mine, LPG seems to be the way forward, from the pump its actually cheaper than red diesel!!! and without the possibility of a fine!! lol