Thread: Stuttering

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Stuttering

Got abit of a problem with my 1.8 coupe. Seems to stutter abit when im on part throttle,seems to be between 3-4k rpm. Its on 60k miles,and i was thinking it may be the MAF sensor. It is due a service,but just seems odd that it only happens at set points. Also,if i go full throttle,and back off slightly,it will judder abit. Feels abit like a misfire.
    Anyone got any ideas?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    could be the egr valve? might be worth blanking it to see if it cures your problem

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right,well after getting round to be able to clean my EGR valve,it turns out i dont have one. It is an 02 plate 1.8 Coupe,and it has the traditional canistor oil filter,but no EGR valve.(i looked at the tech section on AOC and its not where its meant to be) Is this normal,as i thought my engine was the x18xe.
    Im going to take the throttle body off tomorrow,and give that a good clean along with the ICV. Anyone else got any suggestions?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone any ideas?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if its an 02 plate then its definitely the Z18XE

engines changed for X to Z series in mid 2000

Yes u are correct Z18XE does not have an EGR valve - a blanking plate is fitted in its place.

The best thing you can do is remove the throttle body completely from the car and soak it in carb cleaner (about £3 from a local motor factors) wipe it clean with a soft cloth so its all nice n shiny again

clean any carbon deposits off where it mates to the inlet manifold and refit

Z series engines dont have an ICV either (its all controlled electronically by the ECU and the electronic throttle body) - even if u had an earlier 1.8 then it would have no ICV as the X18XE1 was the ugly duckling in the X series range with no ICV.

That aside, clean the TB as mentioned above, maybe give it a good service and see how u get on

Report back and HTH

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thankyou,just about to set out ripping the TB off and cleaning it with carb cleaner. If that dont help,il change the plugs. Its due a service around this sort of time,so that may help aswell. I did think however that the X engines had a canister oil filter,and the Z had a cartridge filter,mine has the canister,hence why i thought it was the X18XE engine.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had this same problem, serviced it, cleaned egr valve, cleaned throttle body, changed coil pack and had it diagnosed. still the same havent found the problem

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well took he TB off and cleaned it,but the problem is still there,so got some plugs on the way home,il fit them tomorrow morning and see if that cures the problem. Was good to mess about with the car though,realy enjoyed getting my hands dirty again.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to keep on,but im still in triuble. I fitted new plugs Saturday morning (Bosh Super4's) and it is still playing up. Also,didnt start first time this morning (always dows without fail) then when i got back in the car after putting petrol in the Exhaust Emmisions light came on,and iv just driven home from my girlfriends house,and its still on. Just done the pedal test,and got 3x 5 flashes, 10,1,7,10,so just going to investigate that.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Code 0170 is Fuel Trim Malfunction..an issue is causing a mixture problem and the ECU cant control it..
    Possible causes are manifold air leaks,MAF sensor,fuel pump pressure and in my case a few weeks ago the o2 sensor failed and threw up this code and when in closed loop was burning fuel at an alarming rate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast