Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2.0 DTi, the saga continues, part 2...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2.0 DTi, the saga continues, part 2...

2002 2.0 DTi in limp mode.
    Long story, last thread here: http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=166804

Still got P0400 error code.
    Looking at the size of the chamfer on the inlet manifold, I couldn't believe the O ring fitted would seal. I bought a new one, and a new steel gasket for the top, and was surprised to find the new O ring was the same as the old one.

I scrounged a fatter O ring and fitted that and the new gasket. That made it worse. The throttle had absolutely no effect until it had been running for about 30 seconds and even after that it would only rev to 1500.

I put the old O ring back today. I took the plastic cover off the end of the EGR so the linkage could be seen. One problem I've had is while I'm b***ering about with things, I can't rev it and be under the bonnet at the same time.

My Mum's visiting...
    I revved the engine and got Mum to watch the EGR. It moved. We swapped. The EGR opens briefly as the revs drop which sounds about right to me. Being electrically operated with a stepper motor, I guess it would work properly or not at all.

I still need to change the upper inlet manifold for a permanent fix but the problems still there. Presumably there's a sensor somewhere telling the ECU there's an EGR fault, which there doesn't appear to be. Which sensor?

I'm wondering whether I should start looking at the exhaust side but can't really work out what I could be looking for.
    Black 2.0 DTi SXI Mk 4 3 door

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There's nothing on the exhaust side of the DTi.

The EGR is a real pig to seal properly, I know from experience. I ended up with a very, very fine bead of silicone instant gasket behind the o-ring.

It's limping because you're losing boost pressure through the leaky EGR.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the tip, I had been wondering about that.

The original o ring, which is the one back in there now, was covered in a grey-ish deposit which made me think it was leaking.

I've got Firegum and silicon instant gasket. I guess it won't get hot enough to use Firegum so I'll try the silicon tomorrow.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I used the black Wynn's sealant. Wouldn't fancy exhaust sealant, a little brutal I think.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can't remember what I've got, it's just ordinary silicon instant gasket and orange I think.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If the EGR is a real pig to seal, it tends to confirm my original opinion that the "correct" o-ring isn't fat enough. The Vauxhall item is 2mm and from my rough measurements and long forgotten geometry from school, that doesn't give a squeeze seal. The grey deposits also point to exhaust gas blow-by.

The one I scrounged is 3.5mm and obviously far too thick, the flange wouldn't go flush with the manifold. I can't be bothered to work it out but there's probably four times as much rubber there. Before I try the silicon, I'm going to see if anybody's got a 2.5mm o-ring, which I think should have enough give for everything to fit properly and actually seal without using silicon.

That's assuming I can find one without paying a minimum order charge to an industrial bearing company.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I "glued" the EGR in and still no difference.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new EGR. The car was plenty cheap enough to get one and still have a real bargain but I wanted to be certain it was that before I shelled out so much loot. As nothing else I've tried so far has made any noticeable difference, I think I'm out of options.

I can't go and get one before Saturday so unless a genius comes up with an answer before then, that's the next move.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Now I'm really stuck.
    Upper inlet manifold from a scrappy to replace the butchered one, brand new EGR and STILL got P0400 error code and still won't rev past 3,750 or so.

WTF do I do next?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ken
    Really sorry to see you are still having problems after all this time. There can't be much more to check.

I know this is going to make you cringe, and I know I have have mentioned it within your other posts but you should really get a 24-48 hour soak down test on your ECU. Could be something as simple as a flash reset. There are plenty of places out there that can do it using the postal service. It is the only way to completly rule out the ECU. Many of the codes mentioned now and in your past posts lead back to the ECU, they are never the first in the check list, however the ECU always shows up as the last one on the list, and you have thoroughly checked the other likely suspects as far as I can see.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm trying to avoid spending any loot, not least as I personally haven't got any and my other half's footing the bills.
    There's a place only about 20 miles away does ECU testing if it comes to it.

I've just disconnected the battery and left it for 90 minutes or so. It still doesn't take much for the EML to come on but it's more responsive, despite still only revving to 3750.
    When the light comes on due to load, it revs to about 2900 and does what I can only describe as a misfire.

I'm going to have a word with the MOT place round the corner on Monday, which I've been going to do for months, and see if 3750 revs is enough for them to test it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast