Thread: MK5 Bite point

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MK5 Bite point

Hi, I have an 04 Vauxhall Mk5 Astra 1.6 Design.
    I am very happpy with the car, and glad I got it. Since having it, I have learned about the troubles of the Mk5 clutch judder - something which cant be fixed for free by vx on my car due to its age.
    I have noticed on my car that the bite point seems very high on the clutch pedal and was just wondering if this may have something to do with the judder problem, or if all vauxhalls are the same. e.g. do they have some automatic adjustment function on the clutch?

I would say it has 1.5 to 2cm of pedal movement where it bites before it has become fully released.
    Does this sound similar to your astra?!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    If your clutch pedel biting point is high it would indicate that your clutch is relatively new. Therefore I would contact Vauxhall and ask them if your car has had the new clutch replaced under warranty. Although from what I've read even the new clutches are still juddering.

Are you suffering clutch judger much? Do you hear a rattling of chains when your changing gear? (You'll need the window down to hear properly).

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jam View Post
    If your clutch pedel biting point is high it would indicate that your clutch is relatively new. Therefore I would contact Vauxhall and ask them if your car has had the new clutch replaced under warranty. Although from what I've read even the new clutches are still juddering.

Are you suffering clutch judger much? Do you hear a rattling of chains when your changing gear? (You'll need the window down to hear properly).

jam

Thanks for your reply jam.
    I have no idea if the clutch had been replaced prior to my buying the car. It has almost 50k and is an 04. Don't know if that is the time when they usually go.
    I have never heard the chain rattling noise you describe. The judder only occurs in the morning, and usually goes within a few pullaways. I have found, if I pull away with more accelerator but the same clutch bite, it seems more smooth but this no doubt, is damaging the clutch.

Rob

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    OK what I think your suffering from is the same thing mine is suffering from.

On my 1.6 16v 03 plate Astra G I have a chain rattling sound when changing gear. This sound is caused by broken springs on the clutch plate which provides pressure to the clutch to keep it firmly planted and stop it from jumping away from the other clutch plate. (clutch judder)

When cold the clutch material doesn't grip too well and when the 2 meet the energy between the 2 plates is such that something has to give and what happens is that the clutch literally jumps backwards causing the judder. When its up to temperature it goes away.

I too suffer from this and have done since I've owned the car its never gone away. 2 ways to sort it are replace the clutch plate with the broken springs or pull up more gently and use more revs, this will heat up the plates and make them less likely to jump. The second option is the most cost effective.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?