Thread: coilover "boinging"

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

coilover "boinging"

hi fitted coilovers roughly 2/3 months ago now the fronts seem to boing alot at first i thought they would be bedding in etc but im getting a bit worried why they still are ...they only do it on full lock im just wondering whether they are fouling on something as my mot is this week ... they've got 215 tyres on ... any ideas or is this normal ??

cheers lads

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Boing as in "clunk"??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check the 140 bargain coilovers thread, there's a how to fit guide in there somewhere lol, as people had the same problem.

hth
    Skoda Fabia vRS

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeh just a loud clunking when turning hard (near full lock) does it alot when its been sat stationary ...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As said check the huge coilover thread mate, about 30 pages long, the last 10 are helpfull. You have to take the bearings out the old shocks and fit them into the setup.
    WWW. FUTURESHOCKAUDIO .CO.UK
    Back in the Vauxhall fold - Astra Turbo & '82 Merc sadly missed, Two VX220's should keep me happy though

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol yeh took me 30 mins reading through that rotter !! ... basically im kinda more confused than to start with :P ... i originally took the old black top mount off the originals and put this on top of the blue bit on the new 1s ... then put this flush to car then black rubber thing the nut ... i found i had a pretty big gap like you had on the top mount under the bonnet ...i think ive still got the old struts is there something else i need to take off ..this bearing ?? ... is it going to fail on MOT on this ?? as its friday

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fit them like that diagram mate (with the bearings) at first, but then when they're on the car, from inside the bonnet take the nuts off and put them both on top, one acting as a locking nut.

This is just advice not gospel, but this is how i done it to stop the gap between the body and top cap which is quite frankly lethal (and a lot of people have them fitted this way). That way they don't move so theres no play and its an MOT pass. I had my MOT a day after i fitted them like this and i passed.

Like i said its just advise as i dont want to be responsible if anything goes wrong, but thats how mine are fitted and the garage i used said thats best solution on coilovers without bearing mounts.

Hope this helps mate.
    WWW. FUTURESHOCKAUDIO .CO.UK
    Back in the Vauxhall fold - Astra Turbo & '82 Merc sadly missed, Two VX220's should keep me happy though

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    If its a clunk on full lock it normally (in short) means that the coillies aren't fitted with the bearing top from the old suspension. The suspension works buy pivoting at the top to turn with the wheels, if the bearing is not present, the strutt turns but the spring does not, this in turn pulls and pushes the spring into and out of place.

Steve

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    right got me old tops off ... u guys say fit the whole plate or just take the middle bearing out ?? .... i cannot be botherd to take it all out AGAIN but i'll have to for fri grrr !! ... im impressed with them for the money but they have been a pain in the ass !!