Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

employment issues need help

not quite me but my other half.

Recently my girlie got herself another job but her previous employers are now being well what i think is appauling with regards on the way they are going about things.

scenerio:

notice taken in(1 week), her supervisor asked why and then gave her the silent treatment (not a biggy)
    Later in the day she gets called into the office and gets told that she has to do a 4 weeks notice period,
    And that her study support wil be taken out of her next wage slip.

i have looked into her contract and her handbook and have found the following information from it:

Once the probationary period is completed you will be notified in writing, under the probationary period section and under termination of contract it states that 1 weeks notice has to be given in probationary period.

i think im right in saying that being that she's not had any written confirmation to state that she has sucessfully completed the period, so 1 weeks notice is all she needs to serve?

as for the study support costs how do we stand as there have been no contracts to sign to put conditions on her, nor were there any verbal conditions explained to her either?

Help will be great people

Thanks in advance

Steve

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 1 week usually means the employer giving you notice of terminating your employment, there will be another section where it states the notice period she should give, usually after 3 months its 2 weeks but once you give your notice they have to accept it, if it doesn't say the notice period is 4 weeks then she doesn't have to work it and even if she does if there are ny untaken holidays then take them so that they cover the rest of the notice period. It should state in the contract what the probationary period is its usually 1 month or 3 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    It has happened in the past , but I do try to be discrete but a 'poo with a view' is one of life's simple pleasures IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    i have owned two fannys that have blown smoke

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Does she get paid weekly or monthly? That is usually a pretty good indicator.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    she gets paid montly and has been there 7 months, however it states in the contract that she'll be notified when the probationary 6 months is over.

Lifted directly from the contract:

Notice period is as follows:
    Upto 6 months service : 1 weeks notice by either party
    Over 6 months service : 4 weeks notice by either party
    In the eventthat your probationary period is extended, the notice period to be given by either party will remain at 1 week until your position has been confirmed.

Probation:
    this position is subject to the satisfactory completion of a 6 month probationary period and receipt of references that are satisfactory to the company. During the probationary period the disciplinary procedure does not apply. The company reserves the right to extend the probationary period if felt resonably necessary. You will be advised in writing when your probationary period has been completed.

So by my understanding of this, they have extended her probationary period without notifying her as she has not been given in writing or verbal for that matter confirmation of her 6 months probation.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure if this will help but the company that I work for has a 12 week probation period and if the employee's contract is not terminated then they automatically are put on the permanent contract which means that they will need to provide 4 weeks notice.
    Almost Always Eventually Right

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as above it stipulates in the contract that written confirmation will be given

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ste_goffy View Post
    as above it stipulates in the contract that written confirmation will be given
    tbh that could be anything though, a note, letter, email, certificate, surely she would have asked if she was through her probation if it wasn't within the stipulated time?

im sure if she kicks up enough fuss she'll get away with 1 week but by the time she fights it it will be a month anyway?
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well the notice went in on friday and starts the new job on the 10th so that leaves just this week lol

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    tbh that could be anything though, a note, letter, email, certificate, surely she would have asked if she was through her probation if it wasn't within the stipulated time?
    even she didnt realise that she had been there 7 months, but there has been no form of communication with her regarding probationary period

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If they haven't notified her of the end or extension of the probation period then they are in breach of contract and she can take them to an employment tribunal. She should tell them unless they provide writen notice that the probation period ended at 6 months then technically she is still on probation and 1 weeks notice applys, she should tell them she will take them to a tribunal to end it or they can let her leave with 1 weeks notice, failing that just call in sick for the other 3 weeks not the best way and I wouldn't advise it. The threat of a tribunal usually shits most employers up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    It has happened in the past , but I do try to be discrete but a 'poo with a view' is one of life's simple pleasures IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    i have owned two fannys that have blown smoke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast